Love/Hate Blends That You Love or Hate, and Why?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
One blend that I love is Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Brown Flake Liquorice. I know for many just the name is a turn off but this is really good stuff. The liquorice is subtle and just lightly accentuates the brown flake taste. I don't get a lakeland taste from this one and it has really become a favorite.
I’ve heard this is great and is actually in stock in a few places, lol.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Two blends that everyone seems to love that I just can’t get behind are Old Joe Krantz and Dark Fired Kentucky. I love a number of other burley based blends, but I don’t get a lot of flavor out of DFK, and OJK tastes like I’m smoking dirty socks, and ghosts the hell out of whatever pipe I’m using.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
One blend that I love is Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Brown Flake Liquorice. I know for many just the name is a turn off but this is really good stuff. The liquorice is subtle and just lightly accentuates the brown flake taste. I don't get a lakeland taste from this one and it has really become a favorite.
This is some good stuff. Like you say, very light/subtle Licorice flavor and some great Va leaf. People might be turned off by the licorice label, but I think this blend would make a great introduction to Lakeland tobaccos.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I absolutely hate Ennerdale Flake with all of my being.

Why?

Have you seen the movie Se7en? Ennerdale Flake tastes and smells exactly the way I imagine the room smelled when the police discover the “Sloth” victim.

Reactions: ofafeather

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
This is some good stuff. Like you say, very light/subtle Licorice flavor and some great Va leaf. People might be turned off by the licorice label, but I think this blend would make a great introduction to Lakeland tobaccos.

This has Lakeland? Huh, I really like this blend. I thought I had not smoked Lakeland yet.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
This has Lakeland? Huh, I really like this blend. I thought I had not smoked Lakeland yet.
I detect a hint of Lakeland essense on this, and I think the flavoring and the constituent tobaccos identify it clearly as a Gawith product. I think the CW on Gawith is that since they often use the same equipment to process all their tobaccos, even the ones that aren't deliberately dressed with typical Lakeland seasonings can often offer at least a hint of the same flavors. True that it might not be as "lakelandy" as Coniston cut, or Ennerdale, or any of the others, but in my opinion, most flavored/aromatic tobaccos from Gawith reside at least somewhere on the Lakeland scale, even if it's on the very low end.

Those with more experience with Lakelands might be able to offer more wisdom on this, as I'm still a relative newbie, especially with that particular style of tobacco.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Loved: Dark Flake, Scented and Unscented, Dark Plug, 1792, Escudo.
Hated: Royal Yacht-not iso much hated but unimpressed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't smoke a blend I don't like long enough to hate it. Sometimes when I dislike a blend, I come back to it later and find I like it. Sometimes I enjoy a tin or jar of something, finish it, and never reorder, which is a subtle kind of dismissal without prejudice. I do like the original Old Joe Krantz, but I haven't tried the other versions. It is a strong tobacco with a distinct flavor profile, so I would expect it to be polarizing, not everyone's kind of blend. Haddon's Delight was one of those I never reordered, and now spellcheck won't let me spell it correctly.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Hate: The only blend where I’ve never finished what I’ve ordered was with Scotty’s Stonewall, one of the bulk blends offered by P&C. I’d have to say I hate that one. It’s still languishing around in a jar somewhere.

Polarizing blends that I love:
Mixture 79 - It has a topping that many dislike. I find it interesting and fairly complex.
Gentleman Caller - Deertongue is kind of a “love it or hate it” thing. I enjoy it. This blend is a favorite morning smoke of mine, but if you hate deertongue, you won’t be a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.