PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
There are no shortage of threads on how Grabows are good smokers. I've revamped my pipe collection and decided to add a Royalton to the mix. Open the box, disappointed. Wrong pipe. I ordered a bulldog. Go to pipesandcogars.com...turns out when you order a Grabow they just grab whatever is on the shelf or something - you could get any bowl shape. But they guarantee the stem bend. What the hell? Ok, so I open it up. Draw from it, no air flow. Remove the filter. No air flow - the stem is clogged. Like, really clogged. I took a drill bit and drilled by hand to break through whatver the heck that was. What was was it? So I'm pretty peeved, but at the same time, I'm a romantic with my pipes. What if I overlook the unappealing shape, and bend, and we worked through the tough clogs in our relationship and end up being a match made in heaven? So I decided to load up some Erinmore. Well ladies and gents, this Royalton is royalty in my book. Smoked like a champ. Comfortable. No overheating and smooth as all damn. Just finished it right down to ash. Delicious. Unexpectedly happy tonight. Cheers!

Raylan

Lurker
Nov 16, 2020
Yes odd that you can't order a specific Dr Grabow Royalton on their website. I almost ordered one there as I wanted a bulldog and they had one pictured but then I kept reading and looking at the details and it says "Bowl shape may vary" really bowl shape may vary? So after going back and forth I finally figured okay they are just selling and shipping them out based on rough or smooth and bent or straight. So luckily I didn't order, found another seller that had a blister packed smooth bent royalton bulldog. Here's hoping it's what I get.

But congrats to you for overcoming your initial disappointment and troubles and making it a win for you. A good positive attitude and a nice tale to share.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I have a Royalton smooth bulldog which I enjoyed so much, I ordered another. Can't seem to find them right now but they do pop up on occasion. Never a problem with clogs, but my last Peterson wasn't drilled all the way through. It happens. On a side note, I'm looking to get a Grand Duke for a tin of SWRA l just ordered. Just seems fitting, keepin it old school.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have two Royaltons, both ordered by specific shape, a bulldog and a few years later an apple. They're good pipes and shouldn't be doled out randomly like basket pipes. I can understand $15 for the pipe and we'll choose it, but Dr. Grabows are better than that and should be sold with specificity. Other online retailers sell you a specific pipe, for future reference. And if you are unsure, phone them and make sure. I'm glad you discovered the Royalton, but sorry you had such a shabby introduction. The clogging issue is extra strange. You were being hazed by the Grabow gods.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I love my Dr. Grabow pipes, the Royalton possibly most of all -ordered a second one yesterday. The Royalton I have is bent, feels sturdy and looks great. I have found my Grabows all to smoke great out of the box, too.

Glad yours worked out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.