Canadian vs Lumberman - Same billiard bowl, same elongated oval shank:
short fish tail bit = Canadian

short saddle bit = Lumberman
Liverpool vs Lovat - Same billiard bowl, same elongated round shank:
short fish tail bit = Liverpool

short saddle bit = Lovat
(End Quote)
DW,

I should have been more clear when I said there is also much confusion about what makes a Canadian a Lumberman. I meant confusion among the general pipe smoker who is not necessarily interested in those shapes, and not in the given guidelines for each shape.
The guidelines are clearly defined among this group, I think. However I make the distinction that a Canadian must have a round shank and an oval shank is not acceptable, and that shank must be equal to or longer than the height of the bowl, with a short tapered bit. To be a Lumberman the length of the oval shank must be at least 1.5 times the height of the bowl with a saddle bit whose length is less than the length of the oval shank. The guideline differences in length & shape of shank are just as important as the different type of bits.
The saddle bit billiard would then have the straight wall shape of a billiard bowl, a shank approximately equal in length to the height of the bowl, and a longer saddle bit usually equal to but often even longer than the shank. The shape of the shank is undefined & therefore may be round, square or oval.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many tough calls on pipe shapes. I owned a extra large bowled bent (what I thought was a brandy) by Johs,

a Christmas gift from my wife. I later came across the invoice and Mogen Johansen had carved it as an

apple, so apple it is. Since my wife spent many years working in New York City and area, I now call it

my Big Apple. I wouldn't argue with Chonowitsch either.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
mso489 " Since my wife spent many years working in New York City and area, I now call it

my Big Apple. " Great thought. I'll bet that really pleases your wife.
dottiewarden pretty much nailed it.
I think some folks are getting sloppy or lazy with pipe marketing in general. It baffles me that someone is trying to sell pipes without giving any indication of all dimensions. I guess they buy their shoes like that too! :crazy:

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
Interesting discussion and very technical. I'm a dyed in the wool Lovat hound and have seen all manner of various shaped pipes referred to as Lovats as long as they have a straight shank and saddle bit. It's like saying "shotgun" or "hotrod", very generic. I guess with the carvers tweaking shapes hoping to appeal to customers it's inevitable that confusion and blending of terminology develops.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
All nice looking pipes, Bentmike! I particularly like your smooth Radice, probably a Gigi & Sons? They make a long Canadian in the Rind series that's on my list that I'd like to have. Maybe soon!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks guys! Yes the Radice is a great pipe. Only a couple years old and barely broken in. It's a little bigger than I prefer but if I put a Virginia in it I can pick it up and put it down all day long.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I just posted this Ascorti pic on another thread regarding my b-day, and then came across this thread. Not sure if it qualifies as a Lovat, but I couldn't think of another way to describe it other than a billiard. The shank and stem ratio seems to be that more of a Lovat to me. No?
img_0011-600x324.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.