New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Jan 27, 2020
love that movie. Including the fact that when I first watched it during the scene where they're talking about synchronicity the tracking went to complete shit like the way popular nude scenes always seemed to in the vhs days but more intensely. I thought that was a nice touch. Seriously though great movie.

I nearly forgot about those VHS woes. I really liked how the movie was filmed including the slightly odd behavior of the waiters in the background. I only found out about it hearing an interview with Andre Gregory due to a memoir or something.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I cannot fathom how someone can sit through that film? - I once considered buying the screenplay to read the damned thing - but jeez - that thing has been the subject of ridicule for years for suitable reasons. Louis Malle is okay but he wasn't great - that said, he looks like he is thoroughly enjoying that pipe and it is a very photogenic image.

Reactions: gamzultovah
Jan 27, 2020
I cannot fathom how someone can sit through that film? - I once considered buying the screenplay to read the damned thing - but jeez - that thing has been the subject of ridicule for years for suitable reasons. Louis Malle is okay but he wasn't great - that said, he looks like he is thoroughly enjoying that pipe and it is a very photogenic image.

It obviously says more about your attention span and taste or uhh well, lack of.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
It obviously says more about your attention span and taste or uhh well, lack of.
I hope that's sarcasm - maybe next time be a bit more considerate and civil - taste is like a rear excrement hole - everyone's got one.:poop: I wouldn't call that movie a 'tastemakers film' Have you seen Ryan's Daughter or any other film by Lean other than Laurence of Arabia - he had class - a stageplay adapted for film isn't taste

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
I hope that's sarcasm - maybe next time be a bit more considerate and civil - taste is like a rear excrement hole - everyone's got one.:poop: I wouldn't call that movie a 'tastemakers film' Have you seen Ryan's Daughter or any other film by Lean other than Laurence of Arabia - he had class - a stageplay adapted for film isn't taste

It was just a gentle ribbing :)

• Love
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I don't have an official list but Andrei Tarkovsky and Abbas Kiarostami would be on the top.... maybe Elem Klimov for Come and See alone and Hal Ashby for Being There. Yourself?
familiar with all -Tarkovsky is up there with me and so is Ashby(Being there is a top film for me)- I'm more conservative - I'd say Bunuel, Kubrick, cliche but Fellini does it for me, Lean, and Krzysztof Kieslowski for something more recent - I also like films like Ronin(98) and Heat

Jan 27, 2020
familiar with all -Tarkovsky is up there with me and so is Ashby(Being there is a top film for me)- I'm more conservative - I'd say Bunuel, Kubrick, cliche but Fellini does it for me, Lean, and Krzysztof Kieslowski for something more recent - I also like films like Ronin(98) and Heat

Well, these sort of lists are sort of stupid I guess as some directors make a handful or great movies while someone like Bunuel have such an extensive catalogue (I've probably only seen 1/16th of his films) and also when it comes to a director like Kubrick who was such a master as an auteur but leaves me emotionally flat.

Did you read about that French serial criminal and escape artist who apparently cites Heat as teaching him part of his craft?

• Haha
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Well, these sort of lists are sort of stupid I guess as some directors make a handful or great movies while someone like Bunuel have such an extensive catalogue (I've probably only seen 1/16th of his films) and also when it comes to a director like Kubrick who was such a master as an auteur but leaves me emotionally flat.

Did you read about that French serial criminal and escape artist who apparently cites Heat as teaching him part of his craft?

WOW that's interesting - I really liked that old french film where they escape from prison - was it like Jean Gabin - I can't remember gotta look it up - but that's nuts. Heat can keep the most mundane persons attention. As for Kubrick - I think it's to be taken that way - He was a cold direct person - He was a native New Yorker - and so am I so I guess I just 'get it' But YES see every Bunuel film you can get your hands on - I had to order some of the DVD's because alot of the exotic non-crtierion stuff is harder to find.

Jan 27, 2020
WOW that's interesting - I really liked that old french film where they escape from prison - was it like Jean Gabin - I can't remember gotta look it up - but that's nuts. Heat can keep the most mundane persons attention. As for Kubrick - I think it's to be taken that way - He was a cold direct person - He was a native New Yorker - and so am I so I guess I just 'get it' But YES see every Bunuel film you can get your hands on - I had to order some of the DVD's because alot of the exotic non-crtierion stuff is harder to find.

Yeah, probably the Brunel stuff I watched recently was on the criterion channel. The escape film I think you're taking about was The Hole (American title), I saw that one at Film Forum a year or so ago. Re: Kubrick being a new Yorker, perhaps that has something to do with it but Paul Schrader is too and while I'm not going to flatter him with a comparison he did make a few great, intelligent yet warm films as a screen writer or director. I prefer his First Reformed to its inspiration Bresson's Diary of a Country Priest.