PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinbird

Lurker
Feb 16, 2017
Greetings good people of the forum,
Haven't smoked for a bit, picked up a pouch of Captain Black Royal and a new Capri churchwarden :)

Loaded the pipe and lit up, found that I didn't taste anything other than 'cigarette flavor' and my mouth watered like Hurricane Katrina, so I figure I sipped to fast and it's a new pipe, also I did experience a bit of tongue burn as well

I did have to relight the pipe 3 or 4 times, it was snowing at the time with a strong breeze

I finished and upon emptying the pipe I noted that there was still some unburnt tobacco at the very bottom.

Sooo, - my questions are does a new briar pipe need breaking in before I can expect to taste the tobacco perhaps?

- is it likely that I was sipping too much/fast and this along with not smoking for a bit caused the excessive amount of saliva?

- finally, when I did smoke a pipe a few years back, I used a blend that tasted like Black Forest cake and was very flavorful, I'm looking at both MacBaren and Sutliff, but not sure if the flavor will be more noted than the CB Royal.

Can any of you chime in with yays/nays or another recommendation please?

From what I've read on this forum so far, this place is a wealth of information and I look forward to your responses (I hope :)
Thank you
Tb

I'm going to be ordering a grab bag from MM, is it likely this will help some regarding the flavor.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Captain Black Royal is very mild tasting, you might want to get another blend first.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I haven't smoked a new pipe other than a cob, and yes, a pipe delivers subtly different flavor with use.

Sipping too fast is usually a culprit when flavor is elusive.

Expectations of fanciful flavor delights can be detrimental. The taste of tobacco, although complex, does have a certain shared quality in all its manifestations, varietals, or preparations.
You could buy a bag of cobs, or, you could buy a few known styles that have passed muster in quality control, either way is a sure thing.

I still have unsmoked cobs from the only bag 'o seconds I've bought, and that was 2 1/2 yrs ago.
I like pretty much any cob style, but I would recommend the Pride, or one of the unfinished styles featuring bare naked cob exterior with no varnish or plaster.
These seem to breathe better, weigh less, and their tactile qualities are oddly comforting.

Status
Not open for further replies.