Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Update: boring update. SP told me to contact them if I did not receive my package by the 22nd, so I contacted them again today by Email. They told me to wait for another couple of days.

I will wait!

I ordered a unique pipe, so I hope that it comes through eventually. If not, it wasn't going to be my favorite or anything. I bet it burns tobacco similar to my other pipes.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I once received a package that was in perfect condition, delivered without fanfare like any other... that spent two years in the system.

Obviously it had been dropped behind a desk or something, discovered when the furniture was re-arranged (or whatever), and tossed back into a send bin.

Rare, but it happens.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's like Russian Roulette with postal/UPS/FEDEX. You have a better chance of something going wrong than one in six. Unless you play Polish Roulette. That like Russian Roulette, but with a self-load.

Dr. Internet

Might Stick Around
I have had many issues with packages, especially those touched by the USPS. They have this newish deal, where UPS carries the package to the local post office and the USPS delivers it to the final destination.
The first thing to do is to use the tracking number to find out who has the package. It could be at the origin point, waiting to be picked up. It could be in transit. It could be at the destination hub. It could be at the local post office. Or, it could be out for delivery. The tracking is usually fairly good, as it is mostly automated.
If the status is 'out for delivery', keep an eye peeled. I have had deliveries denied because my mailbox was too small! Now, I go out and meet him/her at the curb.
My latest adventure was this week. Package from SP due on Monday. No delivery. Went to tracking and read that there was no access at the destination address (which is a mailbox on a post at the end of the driveway). Next day I was waiting when she pulled up. I asked for my package and she said "I have no packages for this address." From outside the mail truck I could see the package from SP. I said, "How about that one?" She said "It's for somebody else." "Can we look", I asked. "OK", she said as she picked it up. "Oh, look, it is for you!", she exclaimed. I bit my tongue and said, "Thank you".
I hate to say it, but it might be worth the extra money to go FedEx...

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I dunno, the only package issues I ever had were FedEx. Maybe regular FedEx is fine, but FedEx Ground sucks the big one. It's independent contractors that do the package delivery and for me, every time it has been a nightmare. I've never had issues where I live with USPS, UPS or DHL.

Some of the issue may be due to the same issues that everyone in every career is facing lately... not enough staff, unreasonable productivity demands, etc leading to lots of burnout. I mean, half the grocery store is recalled due to listeria now, Amazon workers pissing in bottles because they can't take breaks, people going hungry because they don't have time to take a lunch break at their 60-hour per-week job that still only barely keeps their head above water and all this ass-busting still can't afford them a house, etc.

Shipping in particular has had a hard time since everyone started ordering everything online now, package delivery shot up dramatically over the past decade or so.

The only time I don't bother tracking a package, there's this super cheap option from USPS, but it can take forever to get your packages (I don't think SP uses or gives this option), but that's because it'll go around to a particular hub, but then it'll sit there forever until a truck headed in the right direction from said hub is full. They treat it like a side-quest where the package is picked and pulled if someone happens to be already going that way or if they happen to have some space. Though again, not very many people offer this shipping option. It's called Ground Advantage, though depending where you live, that could be just 5 days instead of 3, though other places it's more like a month instead of 5 days. Just depends how far it has to go.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
While I’ve had a few mishaps in the couple of decades that I’ve been buying/selling/trading online, I must say that the sheer number of hassle free packages that have made it from one end to the other is a testament to the achievements of modern man.
As with any other pile of measurable “whatever”, there is a bell curve, and the negative slope always gets the most attention.

@Doctor Chopper-I hope it shows up. It always hurts most when it’s a unique item affected, but at least you’ve got a vendor that will most likely make it good.