PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

R

Rattray

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I’m new to pipe smoking. Been at it since mid November last year. I’ve tried a variety of blends containing every kind of tobacco commonly included in pipe blends including several kind of Virginia’s, burleys, Latakia, perique, and dark fired Kentucky. Very early on I tried a couple aromatics and decided right away they were not my thing. For the last several weeks I’ve noticed I can’t taste the tobacco hardly at all unless I go a day without smoking and then when I do have a bowl I’m finding by the end of the bowl I barely can taste the smoke. If I smoke first thing in the morning I can barely taste it and definitely the rest of the day I cannot taste my tobacco hardly at all. I don’t think I’m getting tongue bite but perhaps I am . I had what I believed to be a case of tounge bite the very first bowl I ever smoked and had to wait a couple days for it to go away so I think I know what tongue bite is. Yesterday I waited till noon to smoke my first bowl of the day and it was absolutely deliscious for the first half dozen puffs then gradually tapered off in flavor till the last few puffs I could barely tell I was getting any smoke in my mouth. Then the rest of the day I couldn’t taste the smoke hardly at all. Today I smoked right after I woke up and could barely taste it first thing and have barely been able to get any flavor since then. I thought I had figured out how to slow down several weeks ago and it was very enjoyable for nearly a month but now I can barely taste the smoke. Any ideas what Might be going on? I typically smoke 2-3 bowls a day.
I didn't take the time to read all replies, so maybe someone suggested this.
Maybe the cake buildup in your pipe/pipes is too significant and needs to be narrowed down. It shouldn't exceed a mm 1/2. Otherwise, the taste starts going south when the buildup is too significant.

Reactions: ofafeather