PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I actually had this cigarette holder by Rattray's. I haven't seen it since lunch on new year's day in 2021. It was laying on the kitchen table, and when my goddaughter cleaned the table for lunch she must have thrown it away by mistake. I have given up fags since... episode 2345, but non the less I hate misplacing stuff, especially my tobacco stuff.

Reactions: Winnipeger

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
There is a theory I concluded that if you don't look at them for long enough, they wander off. That's why I built a habit of locking them into designated places or pouches :oops:
I can confirm that that same theory applies to drum keys, which is why I have taken the same approach with pipe tools as I do with drum keys...always have lots of them and keep them everywhere.

Having designated places for them is also a good thing.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have lost pipes but found them quick enough. I lose tampers like crazy so now I keep 2 in my truck, 2 at work, 2 in the basement and the rest stay in my toolbox beside my pipes....but I still lose them.

I remember years ago someone posted about smoking a new meer on new years eve while walking around. They lost their pipe that night. I don't remember the details but that would be a rough night.

Reactions: Briar Tuck
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Thankfully, I haven't lost any of the pipes I care about for very long. My system for making sure pipes come back with me when smoking outside the house is to: 1) be wearing cargo pants (or shorts), 2) once I'm done smoking the pipe, empty out the ash and put it immediately into the left cargo pocket. (Tamper and lighter go back into the right cargo pocket.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've kept fair track of my pipes including the first one I ever bought that still looks great and smokes well, a Tinder Box St. Ives house pipe.

I don't want to jinx the deal and immediately lose an old favorite. I attribute keeping up with my pipes to having distinct racks with established homes for each pipe, as well as having culled the herd on four or five occasions, to keep the number from sending pipes into drawers or to the backs of closets.

When I do park a pipe somewhere around the house, my habits of placing them bowl up and in non-flammable areas limits where I am likely to put them.

When I do go looking for a pipe, I sometimes have shuffled them on the rack to increase my use of one or another, but i find the missing pipe somewhere on one of the racks. Occasionally, I'm pleased by smoking a pipe that's been in plain view regularly but not been smoked in too long.

I'm okay with pairs of socks as they run through the laundry. I'm less good with books, when recently read books depose others I'd like to reference or re-read.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I can confirm that that same theory applies to drum keys, which is why I have taken the same approach with pipe tools as I do with drum keys...always have lots of them and keep them everywhere.

Having designated places for them is also a good thing.
Yup. I have a drum key and a Czech tool on my keychain next to my house and car keys. Essentials.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
NOPE.
I'm a creature of habit (some might call it OCD)
I only smoke in designated areas around the house
The pipes are cleaned and put back in their designated spots immediately after I'm done
😁

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
I have lost exactly 3. An Astley’s volcano sitter that I left at my sister’s house one holiday. It must have sat in a drawer for a few years before they found and returned it.

My first pipe, an Irish seconds that I recently found wedged behind a tool chest after some years.

And a Bonfiglioli, Seattle pipe club POTY - which is still missing. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
I wouldn’t say any are lost, they are all just in the last place I left them. I’m notoriously bad for leaving some in my car, at work, work car, on the deck instead of In their appropriate place inside my home. I’ll grab a pipe from inside to bring on a drive with me forgetting I have some in my car

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
By the way, the Peterson Belgique is a nice little pipe. I have the rusticated version, and for a short smoke, or a longer smoke with flake, plug, or rope, and for sampling or testing extra strong tobacco, it's just the ticket. Most pipes are of a size to be misplaced without some attention to them, so I don't think the Belgique is any more loss prone than other pipes. I like a range of sizes in pipes. Each has their purposes.

I can lose things, but my wife is more prone to misplace her address book, glasses, keys, etc., and considers me a pretty good finder. Usually, I'm just helpful, but occasionally I'm pure magician.