PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Has anyone else found this in their cigar preferences?
I've enjoy primarily Cuban cigars over the past several years and now, my preferences seem to be changing. With the introduction of so many fine NC offerings, Cubans are not my preference any longer. There are more excellent cigars that are more flavorful and complex available than ever before. At the same time, HSA has discontinued some of their most popular, affordable offerings and replaced them with much more costly marcas.
Unfortunately, the majority of my cellared cigars are cubans!

Reactions: danimalia

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
QC of Cubans is definitely not up to the same standard as the best of the domestics (Davidhoff, Fuente, Padron). But, tobacco grown in Cuban soil is like no other. They can tell me "Cuban Seed" all day long, but it's not the seed that makes a great cigar, it's the soil.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I have both NC and Cubans in the collection. Really depends on what I feel like. Cuban tobacco has a “twang” for lack of a better word that no other has. But I find their flavours are delicate and nuanced between the marcas. NC just offers more variety in flavour differences. Both good, but depends on what mood I am in.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I love Cubans and will probably always smoke them as long as they keep making them. But the days when Cuban cigars were top of the line in terms of quality and construction were certainly gone by the time I started enjoying them (2006ish). Combine that with Habanos SA's constant deletion of cigars and the introduction of short, fat and more expensive sticks... Well, I can certainly understand how that turns people off.

That said, there IS a uniqueness to Cuban tobacco from the terroir that can be incredible when done right. Whether that's superior to some of the great stuff being grown in Nicaragua and the Dominican is a matter of opinion. I just consider them different, and it depends what I'm in the mood for at any given time.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
The truth is all of the big brand Cuban cigar companies have moved to the Dominican so the high praises for Cubans has really gone away.

Reactions: diamondback

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
A couple of years ago I read in a trade magazine that Cuba has 2 grades of cigars. Switzerland and Spain get the A grade and the rest of the world gets the B grade. Over the years as China has become more affluent I have noticed the quality of Cubano's has gone down making me believe that they just can't keep up with the demand. This was confirmed to me by a Altadis rep that informed me that Cuba has been buying tobacco from Nicaragua for years. Speaking for myself I'll take a Nicaraguan stick over a Cuban just on value alone.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
QC of Cubans is definitely not up to the same standard as the best of the domestics (Davidhoff, Fuente, Padron). But, tobacco grown in Cuban soil is like no other. They can tell me "Cuban Seed" all day long, but it's not the seed that makes a great cigar, it's the soil.
^^^This

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I’ve never been a big Cuban smoker but I did enjoy them on occasion when I smoked a lot of cigars. I found that most of them were over hyped
I concur. I used to by different varieties of Cubans throughout Europe in the La Casa del Habanos stores and was routinely disappointed. The quality absolutely sucked. The tobacco was of great quality but poorly constructed and really not worth the money. It was one of those things that you convinced yourself it was great because of the novelty ( for us Americans) but deep down you were really disappointed. I'll take a Padron any day of the week.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This is definitely true for me. In fact, I have been giving some Cuban cigars from the humidor as gifts lately. I enjoy not being "on the chase" anymore with either cigars for pipe tobacco. I am more confident in what I like and that is a good place to be.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
The most memorable Cuban cigars I've experienced have had a very unique overtone that was floral and creamy/barnyard - reminded me of the scent of saddle conditioner of all things (but in a good way). I only experienced that overtone in one non-Cuban cigar, (Canimao), which aren't made anymore.

I don't know if it was the tobacco growing conditions, or more likely the fermentation and storage process. Or could have been the gum resin holding it the wrapper cap on, who knows.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am still pretty damn sure that Foxes the Bankers lies when they say it's got Cuban seed and not Cuban leaf.
They are cigars like any other. Some are great, some are not, just like NCs.
I try explaining that to people all the time. That every single place has it's own cigar profiles and tastes that can't be copied. That applies to everywhere including Cuba. But province doesn't denote quality and every where has a range. Though Cuban tobacco makes the best darn chew in my opinion.

Reactions: danimalia

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I love Cuban tobacco, but in the 20 years since I first had one, its to the point I won't gamble anymore. Zino Davidoff, broke ties in 1991 when quality dropped to much for him, supposedly burning thousands he wouldn't sell. When I started any brand from certain factories were great, then it was certain brands. Now it seems like it's the most famous vitolas of certain brands have the best odds of being smokable. Maybe one day I'll be able to get decent Bolivars and Partagas again.
Right now there are too many great smokes to waste the money on a poorly constructed stick. Save a few bucks and get Davidoff.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I love Cuban tobacco, but in the 20 years since I first had one, its to the point I won't gamble anymore. Zino Davidoff, broke ties in 1991 when quality dropped to much for him, supposedly burning thousands he wouldn't sell. When I started any brand from certain factories were great, then it was certain brands. Now it seems like it's the most famous vitolas of certain brands have the best odds of being smokable. Maybe one day I'll be able to get decent Bolivars and Partagas again.
Right now there are too many great smokes to waste the money on a poorly constructed stick. Save a few bucks and get Davidoff.

Well there's no saving for me buying locally as they are both roughly the same, so if I have to pay 16 bucks a pop then at the moment the money's going on a Davidoff, leaving aside taste & flavour the draw quality is just so much better compared to the cuban stock i've had recently

Status
Not open for further replies.