PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The mindless destruction of businesses that they don't like seems to be the agenda of the California politicians and this is with full support of the people who live there. Quit whining, either relocate or stand up and tell they aren't going to do this.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The mindless destruction of businesses that they don't like seems to be the agenda of the California politicians and this is with full support of the people who live there. Quit whining, either relocate or stand up and tell they aren't going to do this.
I know you love to hate California but I've got news for you. It's happening all over the country.

Oct 7, 2016
THIS^^^^

Better start supporting your B&M's. You're going to need them.
My objective over the last five years has been to be in a position to not be dependent on them. Mission accomplished. I like lower prices. If a face to face sales requirement comes into play, I am stocked up on more varieties of tobacco than the closest B&M around here has ever carried.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My objective over the last five years has been to be in a position to not be dependent on them. Mission accomplished. I like lower prices. If a face to face sales requirement comes into play, I am stocked up on more varieties of tobacco than the closest B&M around here has ever carried.
I've done the same, but newer pipe smokers aren't in that position and many can't spend a large amount in a short period to build a full cellar, whatever that means.
Supporting your B&M's a an important long strategy. If B&M's are gone and face to face sales are the only kind of sales allowed, it's going to be pipe shows or nothing and it will probably be nothing because blenders who can't sell product don't make product. Or, they make product to sell outside the US. Keep B&M's alive and you have that option. Gee, it will be the same as it was before the internet.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
This is a sad state of affairs across the board. When I started in 2001 this wasn't even on the horizon, and had I known it was coming, it would have been hard to believe.

Reactions: Servant King

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Sure, sure, sure, lets blame everything under the sun except the thing that is really killing every pipe tobacco B&M across the country... YOU! When you buy your pipes and tobaccos online, you might as well be throwing a brick through their windows. This is what is killing every B&M business in America. They way people shop is changing. I mean, we all like to go to B&Ms and look around. It's a very cool thing to do. But, then we all might buy one tin or a pack of pipe cleaners, and then go home and order $300 worth of tobacco from the very place where the B&Ms have to buy their stuff from at about the same prices. Jab that knife deep into their backs, and if you mention to the B&M owners that you can get your tobaccos cheaper online, you are twisting that knife deeper and more painfully.

On one hand, I love having B&Ms to visit, but if the big online vendors continue to put their wholesale buyers out of business, they had damned well better be ready to step up to the plate once they've driven their buyers out of business and take over when online sales are killed off. Otherwise, they are left with the goods, and we are left with no way to get them.

But, yeh yeh yeh, lets blame everything under the sun except ourselves.

+1

I agree and don't see any way around it as a consumer. My local B&M is 95% cigars and the owner is less than personable. The last time I was in he really only had bulks that were renamed brands.

I want to stock my cellar as efficiently as I can, and having a family to support, every dollar saved is vital. If the selection was comparable or I could order through them with only a minimal price difference (perhaps maybe $11 online vs 11.50 or $12) I would.

+1

I agree and don't see any way around it as a consumer. My local B&M is 95% cigars and the owner is less than personable. The last time I was in he really only had bulks that were renamed brands.

I want to stock my cellar as efficiently as I can, and having a family to support, every dollar saved is vital. If the selection was comparable or I could order through them with only a minimal price difference (perhaps maybe $11 online vs 11.50 or $12) I would.
The problem (for B&Ms) is getting wholesale for about what we pay, so your mentioned mark up is not going to help a B&M pay the huge bills that come along with paying a mortgage on a retail space.

This is happening in many aspects of B&Ms. The wholesalers are competing with the retailers. I can understand why a wholesaler would do this. I also understand why we buy the cheaper offerings. But, it’s a formula that kills downtowns. Plain and simple.

Reactions: fightnhampster

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Real pipe and tobacco shops are single destinations like major art museums. Most storefronts with neon tobacco signs sell cartons of cigarettes, inexpensive cigars and cigarillos, vape gear, RYO tobacco, weed gear, and convenience store items. This is true in most of the boroughs of NYC and other large cities. Harking back to the good old days, when I was a child, my dad could buy a serviceable brand pipe and a variety of tobaccos, plain to premium, at newsstands in building lobbies and on the street, throughout downtown Chicago. Even our little suburban downtown had an independent pipe shop with a resident carver. I guess we all know times have changed.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
+1

That's simply not possible because B&M's pay more, including the excise taxes of the state in which they're located. As of now, online sellers are required to collect state sales tax, but don't yet charge excise tax. You can pay that yourself to your state, or ignore it and hope that your state is not subscribed to one of several networks states have joined for tracking purchases subject to excise or other special taxes. Late fees and penalties can really add up. You didn't want to own that house any more, did you?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The California ban on flavored tobaccos excluded pipe tobacco. I read the statute. So, unless it's an LA County thing they should have been able to sell much of what they had been selling.
Next time you're in Orange County, call ahead to the Tobacco Barn to see if they're carrying anything you're looking for.
The Original Tinderbox in Santa Monica was done in by the founder's niece selling off the property after he passed. Otherwise they might still be there.
LA is a pipe tobacco desert. Used to be quite different, but the trend has been going on for decades. You can find all the cigars you want. Pipe tobacco? Who smokes that crap?
that happens so often people do more damage with their misinterpretation of laws then the laws themselves do. They go on assumptions and rumors instead of sitting down and reading the law.

Reactions: fireground_piper
Oct 7, 2016
As of now, online sellers are required to collect state sales tax,
That is simply not true, which has been explained multiple times on multiple threads on this and other forums. In Tennessee, out of state etailers are only required to collect and remit sales tax if they ship over $100,000 dollars in annualized sales to Tennessee addresses. Prior to October 2020, the threshold for Tennessee was $500,000. Other states have different thresholds, a few are higher, at least one state says any sales, tobacco and otherwise. in that state subject the seller to a reporting and payment requirement.

As far as excise taxes go, most states still only impose those on distributors and/or retailers. A few have recently imposed them on consumers, but they are still a minority. In Tennessee, there is absolutely no requirement imposed on me to pay our (modest) OTP tax, nor does it apply, at least for now, to out of state retailers.

State and local taxation of any variety is a real specialty. Tobacco even more so. There are even small boutique law firms that specialize in recovering excess tobacco excise taxes for the trade .

Unless and until Congress imposes some sort of unifIed requirement for sales tax Collection on out of state sellers, the only correct statement is that the requirement for an out of state seller to collect and remit sales and excise taxes will vary according to the state of residence of the purchaser.

Reactions: fireground_piper
Oct 7, 2016
Gee, it will be the same as it was before the internet.
No, if only because the shops I used to be able to find in less than major metropolitan areas that actually had decent inventories of pipes and tobacco simply aren’t going to come back. Too few pipe smokers these days. Knoxville has one good shop, Smokey’s, but my impression is that the owner probably devotes more space to pipes and tobacco than pure economics would justify. Who knows what will happen when he retires or the lease renews?

Most of the younger people I know who are interested in pipes would have plenty of money to spend on pipe tobacco if they didn’t spend so many $ laying in high dollar corn liquor, a/k/a Bourbon.

Mar 1, 2014
Sure, sure, sure, lets blame everything under the sun except the thing that is really killing every pipe tobacco B&M across the country... YOU! When you buy your pipes and tobaccos online, you might as well be throwing a brick through their windows. This is what is killing every B&M business in America. They way people shop is changing. I mean, we all like to go to B&Ms and look around. It's a very cool thing to do. But, then we all might buy one tin or a pack of pipe cleaners, and then go home and order $300 worth of tobacco from the very place where the B&Ms have to buy their stuff from at about the same prices. Jab that knife deep into their backs, and if you mention to the B&M owners that you can get your tobaccos cheaper online, you are twisting that knife deeper and more painfully.

On one hand, I love having B&Ms to visit, but if the big online vendors continue to put their wholesale buyers out of business, they had damned well better be ready to step up to the plate once they've driven their buyers out of business and take over when online sales are killed off. Otherwise, they are left with the goods, and we are left with no way to get them.

But, yeh yeh yeh, lets blame everything under the sun except ourselves.

I get the impression this is a generational problem.

The weird thing is I can think of several independent retail chains that have grown exponentially after the E-Commerce boom, they stock a wide selection of niche items sold at low margins and still regularly open new walk-in retail locations at the same time as competing directly with the likes of Amazon.

If Tobacco B&M's are going under, it is their own fault for not modernizing.
The Internet has given us a wholly better way of doing business, anyone who didn't embrace that has missed the boat and is just a relic waiting to be buried.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No, if only because the shops I used to be able to find in less than major metropolitan areas that actually had decent inventories of pipes and tobacco simply aren’t going to come back. Too few pipe smokers these days. Knoxville has one good shop, Smokey’s, but my impression is that the owner probably devotes more space to pipes and tobacco than pure economics would justify. Who knows what will happen when he retires or the lease renews?

Most of the younger people I know who are interested in pipes would have plenty of money to spend on pipe tobacco if they didn’t spend so many $ laying in high dollar corn liquor, a/k/a Bourbon.
I was being a bit facetious. The subject of this thread was the sad state of tobacconists in Los Angeles, to which I can attest since I live in the greater LA metropolitan area and have witnessed a once vibrant market disappear.

But let;s explore this a bit. Internet sales of tobacco get banned. Any sales of any tobacco product that are not face to face get banned. Why wouldn't a tobacconist see this as an opportunity to build trade, since the competition has been killed off, assuming the tobacconist haven't been killed off by a lack of support from their customers.

Ever been to the little town of Hilt? No? It's in northernmost California, 17 miles from the border with Oregon where liquor stores are run by the state. Prices on liquor are quite high compared to California. So the town of Hilt consists of All Star Liquors and a few nervous cows and sheep. The parking lot is always full when I drive past.

Point is, where there's an opportunity there's going to be an enterprising human ready to exploit it.

Reactions: telescopes

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I get my main source of bulk tobacco from a B&M 2000 miles from where I live. The price is 2.75 an ounce and it is shipped to me without sales tax. The shipping is nominal and it is well below what I could buy it here in California. I do buy my pipes here at the local B&M. No extra Cal tax on them. As far as tins, I get them on line for the most part. And that has to do with selection more than anything. Now, when I do visit the local B&M, I will purchase several ounces of tobacco for playing with and trying something different. They do have some that I enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.