PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I got this beautiful Meer with a wind cap which is useful if there is a breeze.
I noticed the spigot stem was a little bit loose and actually when I first cleaned it up it came away the stem along with the silver ring as you can see from the pic.

I contacted the seller and he told me just to use crazy glue to put back the silver ring. Is it the right thing to do? Should I do something else instead?

IMG_2508.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: lightmybriar

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
This looks like the shank doesn't fill up the dome shaped silver piece when the silver piece is fitted on the shank. Is that right? Or is there are broken piece of meer inside the silver piece? Either way, there's something wrong.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This looks like the shank doesn't fill up the dome shaped silver piece when the silver piece is fitted on the shank. Is that right? Or is there are broken piece of meer inside the silver piece? Either way, there's something wrong.
Most don’t.. that’s why they are so easily dented.

I use a permanent flexible glue like this because superglue dries crystalline and will just crack/break loose again over time as the pipe expands and contracts.
It works perfectly on meer/briar.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I use a permanent flexible glue like this because superglue dries crystalline and will just crack/break loose again over time as the pipe expands and contracts.
^^^ This is spot on.
Super glue, or similar Aron Alpha (cyanoacrylate) glues dry hard and brittle and have zero “flexibility”. Generally, which ever is your preferred 2 part epoxy would be a much choice for this type of application.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Hard to describe in words but I'd think that, in an army mount or spigot mount, the shank has to extend all the way to the opening in the silver cap, even if it doesn't fill in the rest of the cap. The mount would be completely unstable otherwise. The shank in the OP's meer doesn't look like it goes all the way to the opening of the silver cap.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hard to describe in words but I'd think that, in an army mount or spigot mount, the shank has to extend all the way to the opening in the silver cap, even if it doesn't fill in the rest of the cap. The mount would be completely unstable otherwise. The shank in the OP's meer doesn't look like it goes all the way to the opening of the silver cap.
On his particular meer, yes, the mount looks quite odd. Does the spigot only seat in the ferrule?

Reactions: anotherbob

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX

It works perfectly on meer/briar.
A little delicate texturing by hand, and some E6000 works wonders!!
Great stuff.

Reactions: BROBS

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[I use a permanent flexible glue like this because superglue dries crystalline and will just crack/break loose again over time as the pipe expands and contracts.]

This is what I was thinking that superglue was not right for this application. I will get the flexible glue.

[On his particular meer, yes, the mount looks quite odd. Does the spigot only seat in the ferrule?]

Yes the spigot seat only on the ferrule, it is metal on metal only. It looks like it is designed on that way as on the inside the ferrule has a stop to block the spigot about 1/4 of the inch inside I think to avoid the spigot to hit and damage the shank of the meer when pushed in. Even if the spigot can go in only 1/4 of an inch in the ferrule when seated it looks pretty tight and stable. However it is the first mount of this type I have so not sure if the design is correct.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
[I use a permanent flexible glue like this because superglue dries crystalline and will just crack/break loose again over time as the pipe expands and contracts.]

This is what I was thinking that superglue was not right for this application. I will get the flexible glue.

[On his particular meer, yes, the mount looks quite odd. Does the spigot only seat in the ferrule?]

Yes the spigot seat only on the ferrule, it is metal on metal only. It looks like it is designed on that way as on the inside the ferrule has a stop to block the spigot about 1/4 of the inch inside I think to avoid the spigot to hit and damage the shank of the meer when pushed in. Even if the spigot can go in only 1/4 of an inch in the ferrule when seated it looks pretty tight and stable. However it is the first mount of this type I have so not sure if the design is correct.
It’s a bit strange but should work. If it seated in the meer I believe it would crack the shank.

Status
Not open for further replies.