PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I know this question is showing how little I know.
Unabashedly, I want to ask before I make a purchase.
The purchase in question is MacBaren Vanilla Cream, which they sell in Loose cut or Flake.
I'm pretty sure I understand the physical difference between the two cuts (though it wouldn't surprise me in the least if I'm wrong), but what I don't understand is why you'd prefer one over the other. What I've been able to gather on the web is that most people seem to 'rub out' the Flake, and that it still has a tendency not to stay lit as well as Loose cut.
The same source was suggesting to a new pipe smoker that they choose Loose cut tobacco to start for just this reason, it's easier to pack and keep lit.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I would agree that loose is easier to deal with. However, if you rub out the flake completely and let it dry for a few minutes, it's not usually an issue. I have heard that the flake version of Vanilla Cream Flake has more flavor than the loose offering. I can't say from experience though. I enjoy the flake, but have never tried the ribbon.

PeriqueMyInterest

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Flakes have a different flavor because they are placed under pressure. A flake tobacco takes some learning before you figure out the size you like to rub it out to or whether you like to fold it etc. Flakes can be more rewarding to the experienced smoker but its all personal preference.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have only tried the flake. I had no problem keeping it burning. I did however let it dry out before smoking. If I had to choose again I would lean toward the flake. I'm sure the loose cut is fine though and if that was in stock I would not hesitate to buy it. So I guess the question is are you interested in trying flake tobacco?

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
I have only had the flake and it is fantastic. Never a problem keeping lit and very easy to get it started. Just take out 1.5 flake (or whatever your pipe can hold), let them sit for approx 20 minutes or so to dry out a bit. I always do the same thing with that exact flake. 2 folds and in the pipe it goes. I usually rub both ends a bit before packing while keeping it in the folded position. (There are many video's on youtube as well showing how to do this). I usually never have to re-light the Mac Baren Vanilla Flake, great smoke, consistant, every time.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
All preference, I like flakes, i think they taste better, i rub them out always, loose cut is easier to deal with. I also like flakes because a 50 or even 100 gram tin can fit in a pocket, loose cut is not wuite as portable...food for thought

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I've not tried this blend, but in general I like flakes. There is something about the ritual of rubbing them out that adds to the experience for me.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Funny you should post this, Zanthol. I found myself having choose between Mac Baren's Vanilla flake and the loose cut just yesterday. I've become a big fan of flake tobacco, but I could not resist getting 100g of the loose cut at Smokingpipes.com for less than $9.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've heard the difference in the Vanilla Cream is flavour. Usually people prefer one version over the other, because they feel one has more flavour. So far I've only had the Vanilla Cream Loose Cut, but I absolutely love that version of the blend. I've only tried one flake blend so far, University Flake by Peterson, but I had no problems with it other than the higher nicotine levels lol. I used both methods, the fold and stuff and the rub out. Preferred the fold and stuff method more. It seemed to burn better that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.