PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
The silver band on this pipe has gotten loose. I can rotate it. I can even remove it if I remove the stem. Should I do something to snug it up? Glue it? Leave it alone? I thought about rubbing a little wax where it sits and putting it back in place. It’s not really a problem as is, but my other silver bands haven’t gotten loose. Wondering what others have done..C178564E-066E-49FE-ADD9-57F2EE867764.jpeg

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Super-glue.
But before you do, check the orientation.
Upsets me (OCD ??) when I come across a band/ferrule that is over- or under-clocked ?
Plus if you would rather not glue the entire ring you can use a dot of SG on just one point. I haven’t had this happen one pipes but if it’s particularly cold or dry is common on wood objects with press fit rings. I had had this happen on wooden clarinet barrels.

Reactions: MtnGeo and Sir Yak

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
Plus if you would rather not glue the entire ring you can use a dot of SG on just one point. I haven’t had this happen one pipes but if it’s particularly cold or dry is common on wood objects with press fit rings. I had had this happen on wooden clarinet barrels.
I wondered if the cold season had anything to do with it. I thought it might snug back up when it gets warmer and humid. Does broad shift that much? I feel like looser stems will sometimes snug back up if you just smoke the pipe. I’ve heard that, but don’t have much personal experience with it.