chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/sugar-worse-tobacco-150300762.html

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Not surprising at all, I'm sure the list of things they think they should regulate will continue to grow. I'm just waiting for the day when they finally realize what they need to regulate is all the regulations! Like that is ever going to happen. :roll:

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I agree that on average people eat too much sugar. But what I choose to put in MY body is MY business, not the governments. At least they're saying it may be worse then tobacco, so it makes tobacco look better

Feb 6, 2012
I love when bogus studies like this make blatant numerical errors showing that they are, in fact, full of it.
according to that article, 35 million people die each year from sugar-contributed disease
well, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortality_rate, 62 million people die each year, 36 million of which die from hunger or micronutrient-deficiency related disease.
If we combine these statistics, 71 million people die each year. About half of them die from sugar, the other half from malnourishment. At least that means tobacco is safe now :puffpipe:

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
i don't know what there goal is, a depressed nation or a controled nation.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
They said that sugar should be regulated like tobacco and alcohol. does that mean if my 14 year old brother or sister want a pepsi or a snickers, that I have to buy it for them because they're too young?

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
It's all about control. The reason they want to limit sugar is because of health care costs of dealing with sugar related diseases, i.e. diabetes etc. Same with tobacco and alcohol. Just my 2 cents worth. :crazy:

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Three years ago my doctor gave me a choice of going on a sugar free diet or insulin.Since then I've lost sixty pounds and my sugar level is just fine without insulin.With all the sugar free stuff available these days it's really not hard to greatly reduce one's sugar intake.Don't take this the wrong way.I hate government getting into my personal business.The fact is though that sugar is contributing greatly to medical problems in this country.I'm a prime example of that.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
McDonalds should be the first evil, insidious purveyor of sugar they attack, they put sugar in EVERYTHING, including their disgusting buns and fries - why? As your child/granchild!!!
Sorry, but look at a group shot of people at the football, in a mall etc, how many of them are not grossly overweight and out of shape from what they allow themselves to swallow? The western world is full of obese people, look at it 100 years ago before the advent of all this shit to hit the market!!!!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Uber, you give me faith in the youth of today!

Thank you. I get my way of thinkin from my dad. Hes a smart guy, got a lot of good ideas
The western world is full of obese people, look at it 100 years ago before the advent of all this shit to hit the market!!!!

100 years? Hell, lets take it back 40. My mom said you rarely saw fat people when she was a kid. Now when I say fat I mean almost obese to Holy shit you're obese. She said there were people that were a bit chubby, but not fat. My dad said the same thing. Now I cant even walk a block without seeing someone obese. Its a huge problem nationwide(pun intended). Its also a huge problem in my town(pun intended again). Skinny people are the minority in my town. Lets take our cheerleaders as an example

. Most of them are either chubby or overweight. Cheerleaders are supposed to be in shape. Ours aren't. It actually sad to watch them trying to do the cheers. The thing that gets me is when people say "I'm on a diet." but they eat just as much or more then before.I'm not saying under eat, thats just as unhealthy as over eating, but eat less. There was a teacher at my school who always taught sitting down because she was too over weight to stand. She also had a microwave and a mini fridge by her desk. She came in one day and set a bag of 5 lean cuisines down and said "I'm on a diet" . She ate all five in one school day. It defeats the purpose of being diet food if you stuff your face with it. I don't have sympathy for obese people who over eat. I don't care if you had a traumatic event happen, lots of people have had horrid things happen, but they managed to get through it without over eating. Now if you have a genetic condition, and that is the reason you're obese, then I have sympathy because it isn't something you can really control. If anything I just said offends anyone, I apologize. I'm entitled to my opinions, and I don't expect everyone to agree with them. Just voicing my opinions
Heres my idea. Instead of regulating sugar, why not tell all the companies making this shit to put less sugar in it? I mean does an 8oz can of Mountain Dew really need Almost 40 grams of sugar?

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Uber, you give me faith in the youth of today!

Thank you. I get my way of thinkin from my dad. Hes a smart guy, got a lot of good ideas
The western world is full of obese people, look at it 100 years ago before the advent of all this shit to hit the market!!!!

100 years? Hell, lets take it back 40. My mom said you rarely saw fat people when she was a kid. Now when I say fat I mean almost obese to Holy shit you're obese. She said there were people that were a bit chubby, but not fat. My dad said the same thing. Now I cant even walk a block without seeing someone obese. Its a huge problem nationwide(pun intended). Its also a huge problem in my town(pun intended again). Skinny people are the minority in my town. Lets take my schools cheerleaders as an example. Most of them are either chubby or overweight. Cheerleaders are supposed to be in shape. Ours aren't. It actually sad to watch them trying to do the cheers. The thing that gets me is when people say "I'm on a diet." but they eat just as much or more then before.I'm not saying under eat, thats just as unhealthy as over eating, but eat less. There was a teacher at my school who always taught sitting down because she was too over weight to stand. She also had a microwave and a mini fridge by her desk. She came in one day and set a bag of 5 lean cuisines down and said "I'm on a diet" . She ate all five in one school day. It defeats the purpose of being diet food if you stuff your face with it. I don't have sympathy for obese people who over eat. I don't care if you had a traumatic event happen, lots of people have had horrid things happen, but they managed to get through it without over eating. Now if you have a genetic condition, and that is the reason you're obese, then I have sympathy because it isn't something you can really control. If anything I just said offends anyone, I apologize. I'm entitled to my opinions, and I don't expect everyone to agree with them. Just voicing my opinions
Heres my idea. Instead of regulating sugar, why not tell all the companies making this shit to put less sugar in it? I mean does an 8oz can of Mountain Dew really need Almost 40 grams of sugar?

vegasblue

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2012
my sister's fiancé lives in england. he's coming over here to the states soon for the wedding. he is thin and is a huge eater, the problem is he eats a whole lot more over there than he does here. but when he comes to visit my sister says he doesn't eat nearly as much as he does at home, but when he comes to the states for a few weeks he will gain weight drastically. when he goes back to the uk his eating increases twofold, he also loses all the extra weight he got over here. its something in the foods here in the states that is different from other countries. all that stuff thats in our food that is not needed as part of the ingredients can't be good for us.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Its not all that surprising. High fructose corn syrup is in everything. I don't like the idea of the government telling us what we can eat, but I think there needs to be a campaign to educate people about our food and encourage people to exercise.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
For the record, a depressed nation = a controlled nation. It's easy to control people who don't see the value in getting up in the morning.
Back to the issue at hand. Yes Uber, you will have buy that candy bar and can of soda for your siblings and I will tell you, in my opinion, why this will come to pass. We can not control ourselves, so Big Mommy/Daddy Government will do it for you. People choose to drink soda, people choose to eat a hundred candy bars at once, people choose to eat at greasy fast food chains. Are the ingredients top notch? No. Is that a secret? NO! Is high fructose corn syrup conducive to a healthy life style? No. Don't drink soda for breakfast. Stop eating fast food for all meals. Dinner shouldn't come from a box everyday. Seriously, someone do the dishes. Let the children play outside. Let the adults smoke and drink and if I want a candy bar, a smoke and drink, leave me alone. I pay taxes so I my house isn't occupied by foreign invaders and so that I have a road to drive to work on, not so that they can tell me what to do, eat, smoke, drink, how many kids I have (or don't have), what websites I have access to and so on.
Butt out, shut up, leave me alone and pass a budget sometime this century.
::exhale::

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
i have always said if anyone wants to lose weight, unplug the tv. everytime a commercial comes on you go to get something to eat and there is a lot of commercials watching tv.i can be on my pc for hours and eating does not come to mind just enjoy my pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.