PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Hopefully it will be like Andrew and Matthew and drop down to a category 1. Tested the generator out today just to be prepared if we loose power. Growing up in Mississippi I've seen tornadoes do alot more damage then I've seen here in Florida the past 8 years.

Reactions: kurtbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm watching Ian closely. I'm in central North Carolina. We get the edges and backwash of hurricanes from time to time. In 1996, Fran made a left turn and came inland and though the windspeed wasn't super high, it hit right after a series of heavy rains and trees all over town, big old growth oaks and many pines, toppled on power lines, buildings, and across roads. It was extreme, and we were cleaning up for weeks, really months.

Two years later, we got heavy rains from Floyd that caused huge flooding at the coast and somewhat inland. I think the flooding with Floyd may have been worse than that with Fran. If that cone will keep turning eastward, we'll just get rain. Right now, rain is predicted for next weekend. Even with all the research and tracking, the tracks on these storms remain unpredictable. If it tracks up the coast, we could get only showers.

This hurricane season reminds me of the dialogue from those old Westerns, where one guy says, "It's mighty quiet out there." And the other guys says, "Yeah, too quiet."

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
A given acre of land in the "hottest" part of Tornado Alley is swept by significant tornado (EF-2 or higher) winds once every 10,000 years. In the southern third of Florida, a given acre is hit by swept by a hurricane (windspeed above 74 mph) 6 times every 100 years.
The bigger problem with living where massive super cell storms are common isn’t the tornadoes as much as the frequent large hail. The same propensity for massive convection and instability creates big hail. Golf ball hail is not infrequent here in Tornado Alley. If your roof survives 10 years where I live you’re doing well.

Several years ago we had a bad storm and a friend a few miles away recovered 7” hailstones from his yard. He had more than 20 holes clear through his roof decking. My gutters were perforated but only one hole in the roof. Still had to replace a 5 year old Class 4 roof. Yard looked like a bombing range.

More of Nature’s rich majesty to choose from. It’s certainly a pick your poison kind of thing.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The binary nature of a tornado (it either hits or misses) vs. what constitutes a hurricane "hit" (the effects decrease rapidly as you move away from the eyewall, but flooding is often a secondary effect) make comparing the two almost a personal preference sort of risk.

A given acre of land in the "hottest" part of Tornado Alley is swept by significant tornado (EF-2 or higher) winds once every 10,000 years. In the southern third of Florida, a given acre is hit by swept by a hurricane (windspeed above 74 mph) 6 times every 100 years.

The damage severity is the "thing". Since aerodynamic drag is a square function, 111 mph wind causes considerably more structural damage than 74 mph wind. But flooding and related types of water damage can easily surpass either of them in both monetary and danger-to-life terms.

In short, you pays your money and you takes your choice, and hope neither of the damn things hits you while you're living there. lol
Funny you should mention Tokyo. When Frank Lloyd Write designed the Imperial Hotel he added a "shock absorber" in the form of a 60' thick pad of mud under the foundations. It provided firm enough support for the weight of the building while also allowing it to ride out earthquakes that flattened everything around it.

I've been though dozens of earthquakes, some of them pretty strong. Doesn't faze me.

Stay safe and best of luck.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I agree with every thing you say but to me the biggest difference is with a hurricane you have the opportunity to evacuate the area before the storm lands and if you're lucky you have time to seek shelter from a tornado.

As for those who say, "You can always move to a somewhere else.", I always ask, "Where in the country can you go that isn't in danger from some form of natural disaster?"
Ummm, most of the country isn’t in a tornado/hurricane path.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Good luck, hurricane season is always a fun time in the southeast but I have to imagine it beats Tornado alley.

In all my time in Savannah we got serious hurricane threats but the old girl always managed to dodge the bullet, sometimes at the last second!
I believe the last hurricane to make landfall in Georgia was '79. Ya'll have gotten slapped around pretty good by storms coming up through the panhandle though.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
As long as we're talking hurricanes, another amazing fact: The weather tracking guys who buzz around the Swirl as well as into the eye and back out many times in a single flight to take meteorological measurements... and have been doing it for decades...

...have never lost a plane.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
In Western Maryland (Non-Coastal), we are pretty much impervious from any natural disasters. (I would say a blizzard is not a natural disaster, at least it's never been in Maryland)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
In Western Maryland (Non-Coastal), we are pretty much impervious from any natural disasters.

Um... Not really...

The western piece could snap off at that skinny spot any second and fall into West Virginia, and you'd become PART of West Virginia.

Then you'd have to stop doing your restaurant gig and become a coal miner.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 5.25.46 PM.png

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks George, I hadn't considered that, till now! I'm just to the right, at the intersection of I-81 and I-70,so we have a little meat on the bone (five miles to WV or PA and Boswells, thank god)

Western MD had tried to seceed from Maryland, to WV several times. WV never wants us. I think on the last attempt, when questioned, Governor Justice just said "uh, no".

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I remember Fran. Went into a band practice, came out few hours later and all the trees were down. Thought it was neat. Next morning, heard it was Fran.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Funny you should mention Tokyo. When Frank Lloyd Write designed the Imperial Hotel he added a "shock absorber" in the form of a 60' thick pad of mud under the foundations. It provided firm enough support for the weight of the building while also allowing it to ride out earthquakes that flattened everything around it.

I've been though dozens of earthquakes, some of them pretty strong. Doesn't faze me.

Stay safe and best of luck.
The tower i lived in in SoCal had rollers, state of the art earthquake proof, i didn’t know that, when the April 1st 7.x hit the entire 17 story building swayed over a foot from side to side, i won’t bother saying it scared the 💩 outta me but i freaked, specially being on the 14th floor. I found out it was suppose to move like that the next day. Seriously freaked me out.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Hurricanes are just part of living in Florida, the gulf coast, or near the oceans. After 25 years of dealing with that crap I headed to the mountains in '04.

What sort of response is that?!

A real man would go straight to the landfall beach, stand on the shore, shake his fist at the approaching blackness and say, "Bring it on, Jupiter! You pussy! Is that all ya got? I'm gonna kick yer ass!" and embarrass the storm into turning around or dissipating.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

A real man would go straight to the landfall beach, stand on the shore, shake his fist at the approaching blackness and say, "Bring it on, Jupiter! You pussy! Is that all ya got? I'm gonna kick yer ass!" and embarrass the storm into turning around or dissipating.
Living on the barrier island is always a good time in a hurricane, the only problem is when they want ppl to evacuate they close the bridges and can’t open them to traffic until the DOT inspects them after the hurricane, that can take a couple days so we are cutoff from the mainland.

Markem

Might Stick Around
Aug 4, 2022
Beaverton, OR

As Ron White, the comedian, said, “It ain’t that the wind is blowin, it’s what the wind is blowin”.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
The tower i lived in in SoCal had rollers, state of the art earthquake proof, i didn’t know that, when the April 1st 7.x hit the entire 17 story building swayed over a foot from side to side, i won’t bother saying it scared the 💩 outta me but i freaked, specially being on the 14th floor. I found out it was suppose to move like that the next day. Seriously freaked me out.
nope-no.gif