PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Just Like the title says, I need a new shank for my Ser Jacopo. It is made out if some sort of white maybe plastic material. Not sure. I do want it made out of the same material. I will send the old shank.

as you can see there is a Crack in it. Thankfully it does not affect the draw at this point. Let me know if you or someone you know can fix it.
Thank you

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I bet this would look lovely if someone used an "old" ivory tube. Perhaps reuse or refashion a cylinder of old ivory from an existing item (that predates the ivory embargo), and utilize it for this. You would still have the briar/white/black look as now, but the material used would enhance the overall look and feel of the pipe.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I do not have Ivory and if I donly not have the ability to make such things. If you know someone let me know.

canuckken

Lurker
Sep 18, 2015
Airdrie
I am in the same boat. I have pipe that I made an extension for but because I do not have a lathe to make the extension properly I am not happy with the results. I actually made it with a hole saw from a laminated hardwood block. I would like to have a better shank extension made or possibly a long stem. I see there was a couple names given in this thread but I do not know of these guys or how to contact them. Do not laugh but here is a picture of what I made with a hole saw. Maybe a log stem would be a better option. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?
Z9yUkK4.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the crack does not impair function at this point, I'd be tempted to (or at least consider) just smoking it as is, unless it becomes more of a problem. Sometimes flaws are not "in process" and won't get worse with time. If it becomes a problem with function, then I'd go to a good repairman or give SJ a prompt to see if they will replace the shank.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
I would agree with mso489 and just not worry about it unless it becomes more of a problem. I have replaced a similar shank for an individual using imitation ivory that turned out nice. The key is getting the lathe set up right to match the original taper as most of these shanks are/were made with a specific amount of taper and sometimes it can be hard to match it up.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Maybe just a wee bit of clear epoxy or even super glue in the crack? If that extension doesn't get hot when you smoke the pipe, that may be a way to keep it at bay.
Mike S.

canuckken

Lurker
Sep 18, 2015
Airdrie
I don't mean to hijack easterntraveler's thread but seeing how we were dealing with the same issue I did not see any sense starting a new thread. Anyway I just wanted to update how I ended up resolving my problem and then I will shut up. I sent my pipe To Jack Reid in Ontario and he made me a new stem which included a larger tenon which will now accept 9mm filters. He also re-worked the air channels in the stummel to get rid of the gurgle which worked. I am very happy with the way this pipe smokes now.

Ik4B5s7.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Jack does good work.
Glad you got that resolved. Especially in light of less than helpful posts like this one.
Sometimes google is your friend. It is in this case.
-- Pat

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Look, I'm not even certain what a "shank" is, nor do I know how to "make" stuff and/or "things". I don't have any real "skill" at all, but I'm happy to make you a shank or whatever :)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
That's some of what I consider to be some of my finest work Cosmic. You should be honored to possess such beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.