PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFall

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2020
Alberta, Canada
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I recently purchased an estate pipe lot to restore, and I ended up negotiating the pipe pictured below into the deal. From what I can tell it is a Kiko tabletop pipe? There are no markings that I can find. Since it is not my style I was going to clean it up, what little cleanup needs to be done, and sell or trade it. Does anyone know where I can find more information about this pipe, or have any information to pass along? Also if anyone is brave enough to give a price range for what it is worth, that would be excellent and much appreciated.
Meer.jpg

Thanks In Advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rushx9

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm just gawking. Is that a block of briar with a hookah hose? Unusual to say the least. I'll come back hoping to learn more.

Reactions: anotherbob

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
There have been a number of companies that made table top pipes and I believe Kiko was indeed one of them. Search for: Tanganyika

Reactions: BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Meerschaum...I believe.

That's what I was thinking too. The briar ones resembled this old Savinelli.

vintage-savinelli-kalumet-table-pipe_1_278bc857ae1680ea31ad0582cc7863af.jpg

TheFall

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2020
Alberta, Canada
It is some sort of meerschaum from what I can tell, I should have entered that in the description. But yes it is a solid block of meer, about 4.5 inches long and 3.25 inches at the widest point the Bowl is 0.75 inches wide or so. There is a rather fancy "whip" with an acrylic bit on the end. I negotiated it in with the rest of the briar pipes as I had literally never seen anything like it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It’s a tanganyikan Meer table pipe you’re right. There were a couple brands and without any markings unless you find a similar pipe with the box or in literature it’s all guesswork.
Looks to be in good condition how clean are the tubes/mouthpieces etc? Are the hoses soft and pliant or cracked?
odors?

if it’s in good condition and it were
I’d put it on eBay starting at $60 and see where it went. Could get some good money for it.. or $60. I have no clue how desirable something like that is. It’s not something I myself would smoke.

TheFall

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Thank you, I will do some digging on Google for "tanganyikan" and see if I can find anything. It is in perfect condition from what I can tell, the whip has no cracks and the fittings are all good. I think It was maybe smoked once or twice, it has very slight cake about half way down the bowl but the rest of the bowl is clean. I will look into doing that, I only paid 15$ for it. The consensus seems to be that most people think it's pretty cool, but so far it's not something they would enjoy smoking haha

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I'd love to find one of these. I don't think I'd pay a lot for one, maybe $25, but if I found one for that, I'd snap it up and use it. Great find! Definitely African meerschaum with that lovely "calcined" finish, a pre-color effect commonly seen on African meerschaum. Hope you get a good amount for it!

TheFall

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2020
Alberta, Canada
  • Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.