PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Hey guys,

Some of you may have seen in a few other posts that I am working on a book. Well, the time is fast approaching when I am going to send it out to some beta readers, looking for some feedback.

It can be as detailed as you want to get, or as simple as "chapter 5 moved too slow". I really want some honest feedback, good or bad, so that I can make this the best book possible.
So if you or someone you know is really into reading Science Fiction, check out the excerpt here and shoot me an email at the address listed if you want to help me out.

Thanks,

-PM

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Wanted to give this a bump, as I didn't get much response. I'm hoping I just posted at a bad time, because I know I've seen some of you guys talk about liking science fiction on here.

If you sign up to be a beta reader, I will list your name in the acknowledgments page. So if I sell millions, your name will become famous! You could be the first reader of the next big Sci-Fi author!

(Or you could just spend a few hours reading a book you (hopefully) like, and give me some valuable feedback...)

Either way, thanks for looking!

-PM

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
politicalmonster:
I'd caution against having high expectations for "valuable feedback." In my experience as a full-time, publishing writer, non-writers simply don't know how to offer much beyond letting you know if they enjoyed it or not. While that can be nice to know -- one way or the other -- it won't prove very helpful when you go to revise your ms. I think you'll actually get more useful advice by circulating it to other fiction writers -- preferably those who have published at least one book with a traditional publisher.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
@rmbittner - Thanks for the response. I am trying to tier my feedback approach. I have a few science fiction author contacts that have agreed to review it, plus I have an editor. But I also want to see what regular sci fi readers think of this edit before I go into the final edit stage. Even if I get 5% valuable feedback, it's 5% closer to being a better book, right?
@shaintiques- Thanks!
-PM

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Even if I get 5% valuable feedback, it's 5% closer to being a better book, right?
In theory. . . ;)
It might help increase your chances if you were to give readers a list of specific questions they could consider as they read. That way, they'll have a better handle on what you're looking for and can better tailor their responses. Things like, "Did you want to keep reading at the end of Chapter 1?" "Was there ever a point where something didn't make sense to you?" "Were there any times you skipped a paragraph or two to get on with the story?" "Did the conclusion feel satisfying?" Without questions like this, I think it's likely that your readers will simply read your work for the story. That is, they won't actually be thinking critically about the material, like a true editor would.
Since science-fiction is so fragmented into sub-genres, I think it might also help if you were to ask what other similar books they have read and enjoyed. If you're writing military SF, and a reader is more of a hard-science SF fan (or even a fantasy fan), then you'll have a better idea of how to interpret their feedback.
Of course, take all of this with as much salt as required! I've never written SF, although I used to be the SF columnist for PAGES magazine. (And I do know where you're coming from: I'm just finishing up my own first novel. After 25 years of earning part or all of my income as a nonfiction writer, I finally returned to my first love. Scary. But great fun.)
Bob

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
I'll give it a read. I've some experience as an editor and ghost writer, so I may be able to offer you some helpful and constructive feedback.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I'll check it out! If you want just email me at quincaw@gamil.com or I can email you later...

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I've read Sci-Fi most of my life, so I thought I'd take a look. Lost me right away because I'm not into the zombie thing; in fact it, along with vampires & werewolves, turns me off. That being said, the style and tempo seemed OK to me. Don't let my preferences interfere. Go after your dream. Good luck in your endeavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.