PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I am new and like Carter Hall. I was watching some YT vids about different tobaccos and came across one about Burleys. Carter Hall was spoken highly of but also Lane Ready Rub was mentioned great tobacco but you have to buy a huge tub.

The flavor of both are similar and the TR ratings are similar but LRR is all burley and I was curious if it smokes cooler since Carter Hall has virginia in it?

I can’t dish $50 in a tub, but have learned that Sutliff Match Edgeworth Ready Rub is the original recipe blend. Has anyone tried the Match version? Thoughts?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I am new and like Carter Hall. I was watching some YT vids about different tobaccos and came across one about Burleys. Carter Hall was spoken highly of but also Lane Ready Rub was mentioned great tobacco but you have to buy a huge tub.

The flavor of both are similar and the TR ratings are similar but LRR is all burley and I was curious if it smokes cooler since Carter Hall has virginia in it?

I can’t dish $50 in a tub, but have learned that Sutliff Match Edgeworth Ready Rub is the original recipe blend. Has anyone tried the Match version? Thoughts?
Carter Hall does burn a tad warmer than either Edgeworth match.

I prefer the Sutliff version to the Lane, and heavily stocked the Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match.

Here's my review of the Sutliff match if it will help you.

A straight burley blend that is nutty, earthy, and woody with a definite molasses flavor and a little cocoa. Has a mild nicotine hit. The strength is mild, and the taste is a couple of steps past that mark. Won't bite or get harsh, though it does have a rough edge, and a slight sharp note from the white burley. Burns a little slow due to being a cube cut; cool and clean with a very consistent taste. Requires a few relights, and leaves very little dampness in the bowl. Has a very pleasant, short lived after taste and room note. An all day work and play smoke that may not be complex, but has enough going for it to hold your interest. A good starter burley blend for someone who has never tried the genre.

This Match is very close to the original. I spent a weekend comparing the two versions. The original seemed a little fuller, deeper in the molasses taste, and that's the only difference I can tell. The cut and look of the tobacco is the very same. In a blind taste test, it would be very hard to tell which was which. I gave four stars to the original and this production.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
The good thing about Match is you can buy a few ounces to see if you like it without committing to a tub. If you do you can buy in bulk. I have a few tubs of Lane, but I got them in the dented can section of a B&M for 20 bucks a tub. I have tried both and I like Match better.

Reactions: Old_Newby

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
But the match, you won't be disappointed
I purchased the 14 ounce tub of the Lane RR and do not care for it. I’ve saved the tub and jarred the contents. — PM me if there are fans of this one.

I’ve not tried the Sutliff Match but it gets such rave reviews. Now reading Jiminks review which is eerily similar to his descriptors of Granger—Earth, Woody, Nutty, Molasses, Mild etc and rated the Match four stars!

I’m ordering some Match today. Thanks, Jiminks

Sutliff? Shut up and take my money.

Etipton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 24, 2021
Tennessee

Lane ready rubbed has been discontinued so I’d get some if you want to try it.

Reactions: Elric

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Really. They won’t make it anymore?
Seems to be true. Even though I prefer the Sutliff version, I am sad to see LLRR go. I spent a fair amount of time getting Lane to bring it back in production a few years back, and had hoped things would be different than they were.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I've never had the original Edgeworth, but between the current Lane Ready Rubbed and the Sutliff Match, I prefer the Sutliff, hands down.

It really has that "wooden malt cup stick-spoon" flavor that Matches860 mentions.

Reactions: Old_Newby