PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Pipes & Cigars, which is owned by STG which owns Lane Ltd, no longer sells Lane Ready Rubbed (says, 'No Longer Available for Purchase'). I'd noticed they no longer sold it in in bulk awhile ago.
Lane Limited Ready Rubbed (Edgeworth) - Pipes and Cigars

Has Lane Ready Rubbed been discontinued?

If so, I'll have to find another nice burley with molasses for the morning. I don't go for chocolate in the morning (Sutliff Edgeworth Match, MB Golden Extra, MB Symphony, etc). Any suggestions?

DunhillPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2019
USA
Pipes & Cigars, which is owned by STG which owns Lane Ltd, no longer sells Lane Ready Rubbed (says, 'No Longer Available for Purchase'). I'd noticed they no longer sold it in in bulk awhile ago.
Lane Limited Ready Rubbed (Edgeworth) - Pipes and Cigars

Has Lane Ready Rubbed been discontinued?

If so, I'll have to find another nice burley with molasses for the morning. I don't go for chocolate in the morning (Sutliff Edgeworth Match, MB Golden Extra, MB Symphony, etc). Any suggestions?
I don’t know about that but most other online retailers have it in stock.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Do you know if its discontinued, i.e. should I stock up?
If the retailer owned by the manufacturer no longer stocks it, it's a bad sign...

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Edger, thanks for the Stokkebye Cube Cut (PS 41) recommendation. I loved my first sample, which had sat in a plastic bag for awhile, so was surprised when I bought a pound and found the, to me, grape topping, which luckily dissipates with airing. I've even thought of using our hot air popcorn popper to speed the airing process!

Thanks several others for the Sutliff RR Match suggestions. I'll try airing it to reduce the chocolate. I usually don't even go for chocolate but liked the way it mixes with the molasses.

Reactions: dcon and edger

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I personally like Lane's RR better. I bought four tubs back when Prince Albert was on the lamb. The Sutliffs was like little pebbles that was next to impossible to light. I tried rubbing them out, drying it out, packing it differently, using different pipes. Plus it seemed to have a marshmallow smell to it. I was not happy because from all the rave reviews I bought three ounces and threw it out. Lane Limited RR is a 10 in my book.

Reactions: kola

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Per Russ at P & C during one of his live Facebook sessions, Lane Ready Rubbed is discontinued. It was started by Lane after the FDA deeming date and it seems Lane didn't think it was worth whatever trouble it takes to get approved since it couldn't be grandfathered. I still see it available online, but I guess when those sellers are sold out they will be out forever.

Reactions: mingc and romaso

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I have a 14 ounce tub of LLRR jarred. I don’t like it and I’ve not yet tried the Match. The nutty comments make me want to try the Sutty, then one person says it’s sweet and another described marshmallow and another drying time to remove the topping and I think… I’m in no hurry.

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
I have a 14 ounce tub of LLRR jarred. I don’t like it and I’ve not yet tried the Match. The nutty comments make me want to try the Sutty, then one person says it’s sweet and another described marshmallow and another drying time to remove the topping and I think… I’m in no hurry.
I didn't find it overtly sweet at all. It's like golden extra, aged burley flake... That level of sweetness, more or less. Bit of cocoa and molasses or liquorice over a nutty burley. I think it's quite a good smoke. But I haven't tried Lane's so I can't compare.

Reactions: edger