PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title ( See Rule 9 )

Hi all, So I began my tobacco journey as a cigar smoker - granted I never enjoyed any cigarettes other than fragrant camels and winston(guess the burley content)
I've smoked top shelf LFD's and Padrons - then moved to CAO etc
But now since being a pipe smoker for about 8 years or so I still haven't gotten to that particular blend that sticks out in my mind like I had with cigars.
I'll give a little background of what I was smoking - Manil Semois - I quite enjoyed it - but got bored and sold my stash
Stokkebye Otc blends - everything from the english Lats to toasted burleys - good and taught me the basics of becoming a real pipe guy. I liked the Amsterdam and the dark fired kentucky blends.
I did some aromatics - Nat Sherman Apple which was quality but meh
Some old vintage dutch aro's that I got on ebay - very good
The War Horse Green - I tossed it
SPC - Potlach - I liked it but also got boring - way too much going on
Russ Oulette Perique blends were spicy and excellent
Virginia Flakes of all sorts - Quality but one dimensional
D&R Burley blends - My favorite burleys and inexpensive too.
Match Englishes didn't do it for me -
Funny thing is I've never had a cigar blend other than Spectre which I remember enjoying way back.
Vintage Syrian Lat's are the only TOP desert island tobacco for me
I was thinking Rustica as I have smoked that in a Drew Cigar and enjoyed it- but I'm reading that it's mixed messages

I have approached the pipe very conservatively and have not even built much of a cellar collection for this very reason
Can someone recommend something to change my feelings? Sadly, I've become very bored with the same old smokes but I read all the time "Tobacco was better way back when..." I did find the vintage smokes that I obtained were very tasty and made with quality leaf

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My assessment, you are just an appreciator of variety in pipe tobacco and don't need to settle down with one blend. Right now is your golden age in terms of the variety and availability of a vast array of blends of every imaginable type, so keep buying in small quantities and enjoy the ever passing scene. Eventually you may have to settle down with a less expansive cellar, but for now, this is your time. Stop looking for "the one," and enjoy the many.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
My assessment, you are just an appreciator of variety in pipe tobacco and don't need to settle down with one blend. Right now is your golden age in terms of the variety and availability of a vast array of blends of every imaginable type, so keep buying in small quantities and enjoy the ever passing scene. Eventually you may have to settle down with a less expansive cellar, but for now, this is your time. Stop looking for "the one," and enjoy the many.
nicely put my friend

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Sounds like it’s time to explore Lakeland’s. Also if you are a burley fan, consider growing a plant. Even one in a container of space is an issue. Rolling a stogie from homegrown leaf gave me One of the best smoking experiences ever (almost sold my pipes), and is excellent in a pipe. I get a good warm belly full of nicotine, earthy/chocolate notes and surprisingly cinnamon and floral flavours. I think I’m smoking tobacco ?

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
It sounds like you lean towards something a little more full bodied. Based on that, I'd recommend GLP Barbary Coast. It's burley forward with a good dose of perique, so there's plenty of nicotine. There's a little virginia in there, and a brandy topping that drops in a bit of fruitiness. I've never had anything that I thought was similar, and it's uniqueness (at least in my experience) is one of the reasons I like it.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
It sounds like you lean towards something a little more full bodied. Based on that, I'd recommend GLP Barbary Coast. It's burley forward with a good dose of perique, so there's plenty of nicotine. There's a little virginia in there, and a brandy topping that drops in a bit of fruitiness. I've never had anything that I thought was similar, and it's uniqueness (at least in my experience) is one of the reasons I like it.
looks great! thanks!

Reactions: BROBS and krizzose

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I grabbed some Barbary coast a year or two back as it sounded really nice. Any idea how many years it’s worth aging it, or does it sing from the get go?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
After sables post I just purchased a tin of Dublone. I’ve managed to grab some at bruno to store away. Both the ready rubbed and flake, also got a pre-macbaren release from 2003. I haven’t tried it yet, but I have all of my great grandads tins in the workshop and Bruno was his go to.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I don't know if you can get it, but Germain Brown Flake might be up your alley. Don't bother with rustica. Throwing it in a cigar is a gimmick. You probably didn't taste it. Unless if you tasted cat piss, in which case, maybe you did. Rustica hardly tastes like anything if it's well aged, and it's not very good if it isn't. The only point of using it is to add nicotine without adding flavour.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I don't know if you can get it, but Germain Brown Flake might be up your alley. Don't bother with rustica. Throwing it in a cigar is a gimmick. You probably didn't taste it. Unless if you tasted cat piss, in which case, maybe you did. Rustica hardly tastes like anything if it's well aged, and it's not very good if it isn't. The only point of using it is to add nicotine without adding flavour.
Germaine's looks quite nice- too bad can't find that either

• Sad
Reactions: rajangan

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since you can do burleys, as not everyone can, you might like any of a number of Cornell & Diehl burley blends, such as Bayou Night and Tuggle Hall, maybe one of the Old Joe Krantz blends, Billy Budd, or some of the tinned blends. Also, you might enjoy going up and down the keyboard of mild, medium, and strong blends, not just C&D, which actually enlivens the strong blends when you get back to them, and sensitizes you to mild and medium as well. Variety is a luxury we have right now, so I pretty much stay with that. If we get stuck with a dozen old standards, I will adapt, but right now, why?

Reactions: chopper and alexnc

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Grab a tin of Capstan Blue Flake. Do a standard fold and stuff and then sit back and enjoy a great 1.5 hour of smoking pleasure. In my opinion there is not a better straight Virginia flake on the market

Reactions: workman
Status
Not open for further replies.