PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Wulf

Lurker
Dec 21, 2022
Saltburn, North Yorkshire, England
I've been enjoying War Horse Bar lately. Not sure how that compares to St Bruno, since I haven't opened my tin of that yet.
you should crack open that st bruno. Then let us know how you think it compares. St bruno is my go-to..its easy to get within one min walk from home for me, thats one good reason why i smoke it. Ive tried other OTC tobaccos that local shops sell and st bruno is by far the nicest. Availability with no hassle or waiting is always a plus. St bruno does have a nice flavour but can be inconsistant..some batches just taste and smell different but you can expect that with any organic product.

Wulf

Lurker
Dec 21, 2022
Saltburn, North Yorkshire, England
Hello i'm a new member here. Have been smoking a pipe on and off for a couple of years and now i'm looking to switch cigarettes for a pipe permanently. I've tried St Bruno tobacco, Peterson's early morning pipe and a couple of others i can't remember the names of. But now i'm looking for something richer/ stronger, something that hits the throat a little bit harder. Any suggestions?

Thank you, Patrick.
St bruno not strong enough??? Let it dry out a bit then sprinkle a few drops of whisky onto it and mix well. Let it dry out a little..then smoke. Ive tried all sorts but keep going back to st bruno...i love the taste, even tried using it as chewing tobacco when i worked in local potash mine. Good all round tobacco and isnt costly yet hits the spot.
Oh and welcome aboard Patrick

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
you should crack open that st bruno. Then let us know how you think it compares. St bruno is my go-to..its easy to get within one min walk from home for me, thats one good reason why i smoke it. Ive tried other OTC tobaccos that local shops sell and st bruno is by far the nicest. Availability with no hassle or waiting is always a plus. St bruno does have a nice flavour but can be inconsistant..some batches just taste and smell different but you can expect that with any organic product.

Well, it's been below zero all day here (-30s with windchill), so no smoking today. But I did crack open my tin of St Bruno and jar it up. Smells nice enough, can't wait to light some on fire. 👍

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
You're most welcome mate.
I'm what I call an emotional smoker who has used tobacco as an aid to treat stress and depression ever since I was a kid.
Apart from the physical addiction to nicotine, there's a psychological element for many smokers that only reinforces the addiction.

Inhaling is an integral part of the ritual for many of us.
Although I'm inhaling far less than I did when I smoked cigs [not only am I not inhaling as often, I only inhale just enough to feel the effect] , I also enjoy that feeling so I have no intention of stopping altogether.
It's why I smoke milder blends.
Interestingly, although I inhaled more frequently when I first switched to a pipe, I quickly lost my smokers cough.

Even though I'm not consuming much nicotine, there must be just enough to satisfy my brains nic receptors. So I think that it tricks my brain into thinking that it's getting what it desires.
A pipe to me is very much like an adult pacifier or prayer beads because holding a pipe occupies my hands. Even friends have noticed that I often "fiddle" with my pipe without smoking it.
Often I'll light up, have a few puffs and then become distracted, so a large bowl can last me a few hours.

Smoking a pipe scratches the itch that was once a terrible addiction.
It's very much a case of having my cake and eating it too.
Switching to a pipe has brought so many benefits that I don't miss an opportunity to share with cigarette smokers.
Since I'm not a miserable judgmental anti-tobacco wowser but rather, a smoker who's sharing a much better way to enjoy tobacco, most are open to hear the message. puffy

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I have a similar story to Chopper, though the pipe helped me give up cigarettes by accident. I was down to 5 cigarettes a day before I started on the pipe, but that was tough as cigarettes come with cravings.

Pipe smoking however is much more satisfying, and I found that after a pipe bowl I didn't want a cigarette for a long time, and so an afternoon smoke would sort me out till late in the evening - when I'd want a cigarette again. The other tough one was a craving about midday for a cigarette.

I'm now just smoking two pipe bowls a day and no serious cravings, and also feel a lot healthier, and can easily go the day without a smoke.

My advise would be to cut the cigarettes and switch to Auld Kendal Dark rolling tobacco. It's fresh, strong and incredibly tasty, and also has none of the craving inducing additives of normal cigarettes. Once you get used to them, you won't be able to touch the crap they pass of as cigarettes these days.

Add the odd rolly as needed around the pipe, but you'll soon find you don't need the rollies - maybe get a decent size pipe for a larger bowl, and a small pipe (a small meershaum, or corn cob) for a quick puff, but try to not inhale - once you stop it's hard to start again. The last time I tried a cigarette I just couldn't do it anymore.

With the cigarettes, you'll need a bit of initial discipline, but the best thing I can suggest is delay the first smoke of the day as long as possible, and then make that smoke a pipe.

As for tobacco, don't worry too much about the strength, but focus more on the taste and flavour, and you'll find you'll not need the inhale anymore. As such I'd recommend St James's flake or No. 27 Flake - both tasty Virginia Periques. If you really do want something with a kick, try dark birdseye or Lakeland dark.

As I said, I gave up cigarettes by accident and because I can't get my Gauloises any more, and haven't really looked back. For me now it's a bit like eating meat (I am vegetarian) - every now and then I think it'd be nice for a quick fag (or steak), but then when I stop the think about it a second I realize I don't actually want one.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
Welcome from Torrance CA. If you can get your hands on some, Esoterica's Cardiff has a deep buttery quality to it that I really love.

atwaterville

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 15, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
If you're looking for a richer alternative to Peterson's EMP then may I suggest GL Pease's Chelsea Morning. To me, it has a richer and creamier mouthfeel, more flavor, as well as more nicotine.

Reactions: ThermionicScott