PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A simple or even a deep cleaning is a DIY project in my humble opinion.

It certainly CAN be done by someone at home, but proper tools and knowledge are required.

"Household items" implies that digging away at the chamber carbon with a bladed screwdriver or pocketknife is OK, though, or that washing the bowl with soap won't fade/bleach the finish (it will), and so forth.

Also, is removing oxidation "cleaning"? If someone thought so and was assured that household items were fine to use, they might grab the coarse steel wool stored under the sink, or scrape it it with a razor blade.

And so on.

There's no rewind button on mistakes like those.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There are quite a few members showing their work cleaning and restorations on the “Pipe Repair and Maintenance” section.

Why don’t you contact them directly to ask if they will take on the job for you.

Steve Laug of Rebornpipes has looked after a couple of my pipes. He does have quite a long waiting list.

I’m sure a member or two will chime in with recommendations

If you’re in the EU or the UK, The Danish Pipe Shop is an option

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
If I had just paid up significant coin for a very rare pipe like a 1925 CK I’d try my damndest to get George D to tackle it. There are a few (very few in my opinion) other guys who might be able to do it but George would be the first and hopefully only stop on my list. You want someone capable of diagnosis, prescription and execution no matter what ugly surprises are found along the way. And with a 97 year old pipe only a fool incurable optimistic would bet on there being none.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Now we are again into semantics. Embers is speakin g to a cleaning I believe not a restoration to new or, nearly new restoration. The OP desires a "restoration" so yes, a professional is required as mentioned above. A simple or even a deep cleaning is a DIY project in my humble opinion.
To me, this is just a cleaning, no more than household items required.

20180613_180543-1.jpg

A restoration to me would involve fixing holes in stems or lifting dents in briar while a repair would be replacing broken tenons, banding shanks, or repairing cracked bowls.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Regarding the pipe itself---meaning the subject of the thread---heads-up to Mr. VDL that the step down to the shank from the stem means that significant drying of the wood has occurred. As in "was stored for a long time in desert conditions" dry.

I strongly recommend that if the pipe is to be smoked after restoration, the chamber be coated with a mixture of sodium silicate (commonly called water glass), micro-fine charcoal powder, and micro-fine powdered pumice to reduce the chance of the briar burning.

Also, be aware that the entire stummel is now significantly softer, weaker, and more delicate than when new. Don't knock ashtrays with it, or get heavy-handed when removing/replacing the stem if it sticks. Dry briar loves to crack.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
A restored pipe is more than a clean outside, oxidation removed from stem. The chamber and the inside of the stummel need to be thoroughly cleaned so that ALL tars and oil have be removed and as Georged has stated, the inside of the bowl coated - not because we all like bowl coatings, but the older briar may be susceptible to burning. One last thing. An ozone treatment works wonders in removing old smells and any and all bacteria.

Yes, of course, less can be done, and yes, examples can be demonstrated and shown of less. But why not send the pipe off to someone who can bring it back to tip top shape inside and out?

VDL_Piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Thank you guys for all the info and suggestions. I have spoken to George and I have sent Steve Laug pics too so I’m just waiting on feed back from him. @georged thank you for your insight on the pipe just now and some of the issues that are visible, let’s hope not to many monsters lurk beneath the cake etc. I purchased it because I have wanted an old Dunhill that wasn’t run of the mill and this one caught my eye aesthetically with grain and shape. If the nomenclature is correct it’s old and worthy of all the love needed to put some sparkle back on the old boy and I’m in no rush, just want it done right. Here are the stamps.
172137AD-C040-453B-90E1-A5DB9F686EE5.png160877CE-AC10-4D66-B4CD-A4909F57E6F9.png

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Wow! Did this go to hell in a hand basket in a nanosecond. Cleaning is not restoration, just a potential step in that direction. Restoration involves treatment to restore the physical, structural integrity of the pipe. Making it pretty is cleaning.

Which is why, when I first posted this pipe:
Before:
qu0JQs1.jpg

and after:
W9I9CK1.jpg

I specifically said I cleaned it up and did not consider this a restoration.

I had a decade of doing restoration of fine and occasionally vintage (think 18th century - try matching centuries old alloy content and processing) antique jewelry. Only part of that process was cosmetic. The actual restoration involved fabrication of elements made of precious metals that needed to blend with the original, without damaging the original, and which matched the various melting points of that antique metal, such that that 21.5 karat solid gold chain mail clutch purse didn't dissolve into a pool of gold.

As far as a restorer who I would entrust any of my pipes for the best possible result, it's georged.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thank you guys for all the info and suggestions. I have spoken to George and I have sent Steve Laug pics too so I’m just waiting on feed back from him. @georged thank you for your insight on the pipe just now and some of the issues that are visible, let’s hope not to many monsters lurk beneath the cake etc. I purchased it because I have wanted an old Dunhill that wasn’t run of the mill and this one caught my eye aesthetically with grain and shape. If the nomenclature is correct it’s old and worthy of all the love needed to put some sparkle back on the old boy and I’m in no rush, just want it done right. Here are the stamps.
View attachment 171312View attachment 171313
Other than grime on the stummel, rim carbon, cake, and an oxidized stem, what other issues does it have?

Reactions: sablebrush52