Looking for a machine to polish vulanite...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeedoctorae

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2017
Greetings All,
Does anyone have an idea as to the name of an mechanized polisher for vulcanite stems, or where to go to purchase one? I'm tired of refurbishing stems by hand. Thanks for any help.
The Doctor

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
You can use a bench grinder with buffing wheels, but I would strongly suggest getting one that has variable speeds. The average bench grinder turns at around 3500 rpm, and unless you're very experienced, that speed could "burn" the stem. The ones we use can be dialed down to 1750 rpm, reducing the risk of damaging the vulcanite.

Another reason for slower speed - you haven't lived until you lean too hard on the wheel and it rips the pipe out of your hand and throws it across the room. It's bad enough if it happens with a basket pipe, but if it happens with a $2500 artisan pipe, well...
Russ

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
These are the wheels I use. Russ is correct about speed. My buffer spins at 1750. AND BE CAREFUL. Use a cheap to practice on.
https://www.amazon.com/Beall-Tools-Wood-Buff-System/dp/B0037MDCPI

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Does anyone have an idea as to the name of an mechanized polisher for vulcanite stems
A thumb and toothpaste does a good job.
20190201_164401.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Russ, what size wheels are on your buffers running at 1750 RPM? There's a big difference in effective speed, depending upon size. A 4" wheel at 3500 is the same actual speed as an 8" at 1750. Spiral stitched wheel or unstitched? What buffing compound are guys using? I hear good things about the Menzerna compounds, but they've got so many formulations.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I use 4" wheels on a hobby lathe... adjustable speed. Works just fine. I also have an old Variable Frequency Drive and motor out in the shop that needs to be mounted up again in the spring...

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
As a side note to the discussion, before buffing the pipe exterior, I’ll scrub the draft hole with compound & a extra fluffy pipe cleaner on vulcanite stems. It removes oxidation & sweetens up the smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.