Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
What price limit / ball park figure are you considering ? And new vs estate ?

You can get excellent value buying an estate from reputable vendors like Blue Room Briars, SmokingPipes and The Danish Pipe Shop (yes the last is in Denmark, but their service is exemplary and prompt. I received a pipe from them last week - 10 days after I placed the order, delivered to Sydney, Australia).

There are lots of advice in older posts eg sub-brands and cheaper lines from Stanwell or Savinelli. I have a Georg Jensen (pipemaker, not the silver merchant) pipe did not cost much which I bought new in the '70s which still looks great and still going strong, so affordable does not mean cheap and shoddy.

Personally, I like classic shapes and Pipes Estate (a French vendor) on EBay has a good selection of unsmoked stock around US$30 and under. Most tend to be on the smaller side (size 3-4). Some even have genuine horn stems. Some French brands over-deliver in quality/price ratio.

Of course you can opt for corn cobs - I can't speak for them, as I have none. But LOTs of love for them from many on the Forums, and they all can't be wrong :)

Happy browsing and good luck with your purchase. And do show us what you end up with.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
on SP.com there are many fairly inexpensive briars which are serviceable and which will enhance your rotation. Always look at estates on SP as you can rely on their descriptions and also their care in preparation. I also note the relatively low price of brands such as Ropp and Rossi. Look also for an unsmoked Gigi on the Italian estates page

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I found a Peterson Derry Rustic. Learning about the design, Peterson borrowed from the author, prince, and bent apple.

I've found the bowl easy to load and the pipe light enough to clinch, but a pleasure to hold as well. '

The 408 family comes with both army and traditional stems.

Reactions: Ettrick puffer
M

MARC52

I would also recommend Rossi, they are very nicely made pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: dcon

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
If you are willing to pay a bit more I have found Moonshine Pipes to have great quality in shaping, stemwork and smoking ability (a nice open draw) beyond their price point.

Reactions: Misanthrope

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I read some where that Savinelli makes rossi. Anyone know if that's true?
Yes. A little cut-and-pasted backstory: “Ferdinando Rossi was one of the pioneers in bringing the production of briar pipes to Italy, a contemporary of Achille Savinelli. And though the two were competitors in business, in their private lives they enjoyed a close friendship. So it came to be that, just shy of a century after its founding, the Rossi family's marque came into the caretaking of Savinelli, after the former found itself unable to adapt to the changes in the post-WWII tobacciana market. This same old friendship is also one of the reasons why Savinelli has been keen to give the Rossi name new life, as Rossi by Savinelli, focusing on quality, affordable Italian pipes.”?

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
Yes. A little cut-and-pasted backstory: “Ferdinando Rossi was one of the pioneers in bringing the production of briar pipes to Italy, a contemporary of Achille Savinelli. And though the two were competitors in business, in their private lives they enjoyed a close friendship. So it came to be that, just shy of a century after its founding, the Rossi family's marque came into the caretaking of Savinelli, after the former found itself unable to adapt to the changes in the post-WWII tobacciana market. This same old friendship is also one of the reasons why Savinelli has been keen to give the Rossi name new life, as Rossi by Savinelli, focusing on quality, affordable Italian pipes.”?
That's really interesting. Thanks a bunch.
Rossi has some very pretty and affordable pipes. I'll pick a couple up next month.
Again thanks.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
That's really interesting. Thanks a bunch.
Rossi has some very pretty and affordable pipes. I'll pick a couple up next month.
Again thanks.
I have a few… You will not be disappointed
:cheers:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Related to Savinelli owning the Rossi brand, the Rossi shapes are Savinelli shapes with slightly less exalted finishes. I have a dozen or more Savinelli pipes and two Rossi pipes, and they are similar in smoking characteristics.

Other good buys include Dr. Grabow, especially the Royalton series; Kaywoodie; Ropp; Tsuge tasting pipes; and of course Missouri Meerschaum cobs, especially the special editions with acrylic stems for about $28. Also, right now, Iwan Ries has GBD seconds, called Medleys, for $30, or less if you buy two or three. These are all low-cost new pipes. Many good buys are available as estates, though I'd recommend buying these at SP or another sponsor retailer. The prices are a little higher, but you have some assurance of quality which is not present on eBay etc.