PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
1993. I phoned my girlfriend to let her know that I a couple of business meetings come up at very short notice. "so, couldn't this wait until tonight"

"Not really, I need to fly to Dublin tomorrow and won't be back until Friday night"

"Are both meeting in Dublin?"

"No, I'm flying to Austin, Tx, on Monday for a week"

She slammed the phone down.

Roll forward 10 years and she was used to me spending most of the week working somewhere in Europe but wasn't so happy when I told her I was off to our Malaysian office for 3 months...

...we married in 2016.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
1993 was an interesting year. I was co-founding a small digital FX studio at Paramount, working on Coneheads. I enjoyed working on that film, and working with Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtain was a treat. Dan knew the name of every crew member on that show. He would greet everyone by name, and he gave us all custom House Of Blues jackets as Christmas gifts. He also went to bat with the Paramount brass over what he considered impolite behavior on the part of lot security toward members of the crew. Just a great guy who had your back.

Though Paramount decided against continuing to establish an in-studio FX group, they offered me an office, phone, and parking if I would maintain a presence on the lot while they further considered the possibility of an in studio FX group. In the meantime I was free to work for whomever, just as long as I would advise productions on VFX questions when asked. Worked for me. I did work for a variety of other studios while in residence at Paramount. The following year Warner Brothers made me an offer to co-found a digital FX group and I decamped from Paramount to Warner Bros.

In 1993 we were living with our in-laws after an earthquake trashed our apartment and I eventually went in after hours and made repairs since the POS property owner was dragging his feet. After 4 months with the in-laws we moved back to Encino.
Once I started with Warners we started the search for a house to buy.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Summer of '93...about to start 3rd grade, still devastated over what happened to my Kings in the Stanley Cup Finals (although the ritalin masked it well). Just got two new kittens, and was learning how to hit a baseball...even taught myself to switch-hit a couple years later. I was a shy, scrawny nerd kid with few friends and surprisingly mediocre grades.

And here I am, 30 years later, no worse for wear. At least that's what I tell myself in between huge gulps of liquor... 🥴

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Changed jobs in late ‘93 with a move to where we still love living in early ‘94 — fond memories of the Christmas season with our oldest who was 15-16 months — particularly the runup as the wife also was quitting her job. No daycare, a great six weeks together.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
30 years ago I was helping several agencies of good old Uncle Sam in 3rd world shitholes acting like I was 10 feet tall. During that time, I went thru my 2nd divorce and bought my first new sports car. I discovered French women, French wines and fine dining. Good times. Wish some of it was back. Not the wife of course but the car was nice.

Reactions: bullet08 and Zero

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
30 years ago personally was not a good time...going through a divorce then, as well as moving and career changes. In a much better place today, by the grace of God.

30 years ago societally and culturally was just the opposite...yes, there were plenty of problems then too, but it was far, far better than the shitshow it's all deteriorated into today.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
1993 I graduated college. Moved home and worked my way into managing (asst. mgr and floor manager) at two bike shops of the same company. My girlfriend and now wife, lived in AZ and was in CA. Long distance romance while I rode bicycles, surfed, skied, and saved money. The following year moved to AZ, got our first apartment and started a career in insurance. Insurance lasted 4 years. Marriage going on 27 years. 2 awesome sons and a good life! Lucky and worked for it, both can be true.