PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zartoon

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Greetings

I’m relatively new to pile smoking. Have had a number of Peterson’s and others but never any other higher end brands.
I saw a large Dinh I’ll straight and was impressed in every way.
I’d love to get into an estate dunhill to try it out. B tin have issues with scale.

Is the 6ek panel pipe from Dunhill a large or a small pipe? It seems to be a smaller pipe from the dimensions.

Is there an equivalent panel pipe in shell finish that is larger?

Last edited by a moderator:

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Do you mean a Group 6 EK, or a Shape 6EK? If it’s a Group 6, it’s the largest Dunhill makes, outside of the ODA Series. If it’s only the shape, that means it’s a panel billiard with a saddle stem, and made before the mid-70s. That one could be smaller.

If you’re looking for a large panel billiard, I’d go with an ODA 836!

Reactions: dcon

Zartoon

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2020
Thank you. I am not sure I was just looking on eBay and the pipe was listed as 6ek. I need to learn more about their numbering system. Is there a good website?

Reactions: lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thank you. I am not sure I was just looking on eBay and the pipe was listed as 6ek. I need to learn more about their numbering system. Is there a good website?
Pipedia is amazing, but a little overwhelming for a new person.

You’ll pick up a lot of learning by just browsing. Of course, you can always ask questions here, too!

Newer Dunhills in the shape and size you want will be labeled 5124 or 6124. Older ones will be ODA 836. ODAs are more uncommon.

Reactions: dcon

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
They still do make ODAs, too, but all of the paneled billiards that are larger pre-1970s will be ODA stamped. I think the EK only comes in a Group 4 size, which is a medium sized pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dunhill originated the pipe size scale from Group 1, smallest, to Group 6, largest. Interestingly, the specifications for these groups are not given in exact dimensions, so you have to develop a feel for it. The Iwan Ries site gives Group sizes for all of its pipes, so that is a reference for learning, over time, which size pipes fit which Groups. Otherwise, just shop those online retailers that give all the specifications -- length, weight, bowl height, chamber diameter and depth, weight, etc. Bear in mind, with smaller pipes, you can often get a full-length smoke with flake, coin, plug, and rope cut blends. They just burn slower in most cases.

Zartoon

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2020
thank you for all the great info. I will check out the references and get going. I imagine I will end up with a couple of them by the time I'm done. Maybe a group 4 and a group 5 or 6.

If anyone does have such things that they are willing to let go, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.