PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schizo

Lurker
Jan 30, 2020
Kansas
Well, after some experimenting and further troubles, I think I may have found one of the problems. The pipe itself.
A few people mentioned that the draw should have only a little resistance, and said that if it's like a milkshake, it's packed too tightly.
Even without any tobacco in it the draw is super tight--akin to like people said, a milkshake.

To get any smoke from it, I have to draw pretty hard, and doing that makes the smoke get really hot.
But, if I'm not puffing on it constantly, it will go out.
Like, it goes out if there's a 5 or 6 second period I'm not puffing on it.

So... guess I just need to order a better pipe, when my budget allows it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
With some effort, but just barely. I actually had to pull a pipecleaner out with some pliers the first time, because it got stuck.
Sounds like it may be obstructed with gunk... if it is an estate. If so, you might try soaking a few pipe cleaners in some high proof alcohol and working it aggressively until you get no more gunk on the cleaner.
If it is a new pipe, then yeh, probably need another one.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
You could have bought a Missouri Meerschaum with a defective stem. (Hey! It could happen.)

As for the straw method, here's a tip that hasn't been mentioned yet. Take a draw on an empty pipe first. It should be like you are sucking on a newly unwrapped plastic straw before you put it in a glass. Then start filling the pipe. After the first pinch, take a draw on the pipe and you should feel slightly more resistance. (If it takes an effort to suck air then the first pinch is packed too tight.) Add more tobacco and do the draw test again.

As it's been mentioned before, if it feels like you are drinking a thick milkshake, then it's packed too tightly.

Reactions: chopper and Schizo

Schizo

Lurker
Jan 30, 2020
Kansas
Sounds like it may be obstructed with gunk... if it is an estate. If so, you might try soaking a few pipe cleaners in some high proof alcohol and working it aggressively until you get no more gunk on the cleaner.
If it is a new pipe, then yeh, probably need another one.
Brand new, have only had it for about 3 days. But still, I'll try out what you suggested and see what happens.

As it's been mentioned before, if it feels like you are drinking a thick milkshake, then it's packed too tightly.
That's the thing--it feels like that with no tobacco in it.

Schizo

Lurker
Jan 30, 2020
Kansas
Well, if it was new, and you've been running a cleaner down it after each smoke, it is most likely something else going on.
I have been using a cleaner after each attempt, yeah.
Oh well. At least it isn't a huge loss of money, only cost me about 20 bucks.
Probably the reason I'm having issues with it.

Lesson learned though. Next time, don't go for the cheapest pipe I can find. >.>
Or at least, one of the cheaper ones. There were a few that were like... 7 dollars.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mikey517

Lurker
Jul 27, 2019
NJ
This from another new piper; take the stem out and draw on just the stem without a filter. If that's OK, just draw through the shank of the bowl. They should both draw wide open. It could be a small but easily fixable problem with the pipe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have been using a cleaner after each attempt, yeah.
Oh well. At least it isn't a huge loss of money, only cost me about 20 bucks.
Probably the reason I'm having issues with it.

Lesson learned though. Next time, don't go for the cheapest pipe I can find. >.>
Or at least, one of the cheaper ones. There were a few that were like... 7 dollars.
20 dollar pipes can be fine, but they're so much more prone to things like that. Once you go up to 60 bucks you are so much less likely to get a dud.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
This from another new piper; take the stem out and draw on just the stem without a filter. If that's OK, just draw through the shank of the bowl. They should both draw wide open. It could be a small but easily fixable problem with the pipe.
This could easily be the case, I bought a brand name, new Briar pipe that came with an obstruction (small piece of metal) in the stummel. I was able to remove the obstruction and the pipe was a great smoker. Strange but true.

Reactions: Schizo

Schizo

Lurker
Jan 30, 2020
Kansas
I have done that a few times before, and the stem is the problem. I have ran a good number of pipe cleaners through it, though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To get you started again without spending a bunch of dough, you might try a Dr. Grabow Royalton, a few bucks more than some of their line, but they have an acrylic stem that will last a long time, not oxidize, and won't chew up. A Royalton will cost you about forty bucks plus shipping new. I recommend the Royalton bulldog, good-sized bowl and nice shaping (if you like bulldog shapes, which I do). I'm pretty sure one of our sponsor sites have these in stock. You may feel burned with your cob, but I like the special editions that come with an acrylic stem for about $25 featured at their web site. These are likely available used (estate pipes) for even less.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Set the Eileen's Dream aside for now. Aromatics are topped with flavorings in PG. Damn near impossible to dry and light/keep lit. Also can give really bad tongue bite. Try a medium body English or oriental and let it dry a bit. Should be much easier than the wet aromatics.
You will find a lot more variety of flavors in pipe tobaccos than cigars.

Reactions: chopper
Status
Not open for further replies.