Long Term Storage in Mylar Bags - Experience?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Nice comparison woodsroad, thank you. In addition to sorting some tobacco in Mylar bags, I've bought all smaller sized mason jars. When I open one, I'll be planning to smoke that amount and can use the jar to keep the tobacco stable during the smoking period.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Switched 4 or 5 years ago. Heat sealed (Iron-wool setting I believe) non-zip 5mil. Started opening some about 1 year ago. Great.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Dave, I’ve bought from MylarPro, Sorbent Systems and others. I prefer Sorbent System’s products. But, with one exception, everything that I’ve bought that was touted as 5mil foil/Mylar laminate has been good, regardless of vendor.
3rdguy: Yes, there are clear Mylar bags. I use them to store bulk whole leaf. There are also some nice tin-sized ziplocs that are clear on one side. None of the clear bags have the exceptional barrier qualities of the foil laminates, though. Read through the Sorbent Systems website if you want to learn more about Mylar laminates.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks woodsroad.
I’m being overan with jars. I may switch over to Mylar. Buying less and smoking more would be the simple solution...

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
For long-term storage I use mason jars. I wash them in the dishwasher on the sanitize setting. The jars are almost too hot to handle right out of the dishwasher. I put the tobacco in and apply the lives right away, a vacuum seal actually forms. When you open the jar 1,3,5 etc years later the lids pop when you open them.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I pretty much completed the canning today. I had already bought several cases of mason jars so I decided I might as well use them. Put most of the better tobacco in the mason jars but did put some smaller quantities in the Mylar bags. Also put some of the less important tobacco into Mylar. I believe as I move forward, I'll continue to do some of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.