PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioPiper

Lurker
Nov 7, 2019
Saugerties, NY
What’s the best way to store cigars long term? In their boxes or out? I have quite a few in a climate controlled humidor, which is actually like a small fridge with a cooking and heating unit. It functions terribly however. I don’t smoke many cigars and don’t want them to dry out before I get to enjoy them.

Reactions: danimalia

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I leave them in the box. It gives them a bit of extra protection.

I have a Newair brand climate controlled humidor and it works fantastic. I had to salt test/calibrate the hygrometer. Once calibrated I seasoned the humidor and haven't had any issues. It's almost a literal set it and forget it thing for me.

I do use food grade propelyne glycol instead of water. It's made a big difference in all of my humidors.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Why does your humidor function poorly? Bad seal? Humidification system? I have a big ass coolerdor that works almost too well because it's so airtight. I use heartfelt industries beads, which work nicely. I generally store my cigars in the box until I get down to my last few and then I transfer them to my singles/random tupperdor. In terms of in box or out, I'm not sure it makes much difference when it comes to humidity, particularly for cellophaned sticks, but the boxes keep them organized and the nakeds protected.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't think it makes much difference, in or out of the box. If you have plenty of room, leave them in the box. And consider buying a better electronic humidification system to retrofit your humidor. It looks like a nice one.

RadioPiper

Lurker
Nov 7, 2019
Saugerties, NY
Why does your humidor function poorly? Bad seal? Humidification system? I have a big ass coolerdor that works almost too well because it's so airtight. I use heartfelt industries beads, which work nicely. I generally store my cigars in the box until I get down to my last few and then I transfer them to my singles/random tupperdor. In terms of in box or out, I'm not sure it makes much difference when it comes to humidity, particularly for cellophaned sticks, but the boxes keep them organized and the nakeds protected.
The temperature control unit will not keep at a constant temperature. For humidity it stays near constant at 75.

Reactions: danimalia

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have a similar unit that is thermo-electric. I leave mine unplugged with beads and distilled water as hydration. Stays at a constant temp and the humidity stays in a very narrow range for months and months.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I have an aristocrat cabinet humidor and a bunch of igloo coolers. If I could do it all over again, I’d just buy the coolers and a few boveda packs. The coolers create an extremely stable environment paired with the boveda packs. I’m talking over a span of Years. The aristocrat is nice too, but coolers are more stable. id also recommend storing your pipe tobacco separate from your cigars.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
I have a thermo electric new air unit with custom built Spanish cedar drawers. I use beads for humidification. I might plug it in one or twice during the hottest part of the summer, otherwise stays in the mid 60's temp and humidity year round. I have a few hundred cigars at any given time and never an issue.

Reactions: RadioPiper

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
the best humidor there is for the money. Go buy some shelving at the hardware store and cut it to fit, this cooler already has slats for shelves. Been using one since 2012 and it's the best humidor I've ever had, got rid of all my fancy one. If your cigar tetris is good you can get near 800 in one of these.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
The temperature control unit will not keep at a constant temperature. For humidity it stays near constant at 75.

I'd recommend Heartfelt beads or Boveda packs. I use the 65% variety, which I think is ideal for a wide variety of cigars. 75 is too high, I think.. If you can't get it to your liking, I would just get a cooler. They really do work well.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I wouldn't worry about the temperature. If the humidity measuring device is properly calibrated, 75 is way too high. Many seem to recommend 68 to 70. I recommend 64 to 66. I kept mine 62 to 64. Cigars are like pipe tobacco, they smoke much better being a bit dry than too moist.

If you decide to go with a Coolerdor, get one with a drain plug and leave the plug open. Coolers are generally too air tight. I've read about too many people who left their cigars in a Cooler for extended periods, without ever opening the lid, and ruined the cigars.

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
I'll second 62-65. No loss of flavor, and far less likely to have wrapper issues when smoking. Plus you will never, ever have mold or tobacco beetles at that RH.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
For humidity it stays near constant at 75.
In my opinion, that is way too high for long-term storage. I'd suggest closer to 65% for long-term. At 75% you run a substantial risk of mold if the temp. gets above 70. I second the use of a cooler or rubbermaid container with the Heartfelt beads. Have been using this setup for about 10 years with no problems.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Propylene glycol poured in a tray is dead nuts on 70%. The only drawback is if you're not paying attention you can spill it. After using it I will never use anything else again. I gave some to a friend and some to a coworker and they both say the same thing.

Here's what I use: Linky to the Stuff

Reactions: RadioPiper

RadioPiper

Lurker
Nov 7, 2019
Saugerties, NY
I’m dropping the humidity. Ordered a digital meter too to double check the ones that are in there now. I was using the 70% glycol solution but both gauges read at 75.
Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Bengel
Status
Not open for further replies.