PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
@mysticpiper it’s a great group and we’d love to meet you. We have pipe smokers who are just getting started and some who have been at it for decades. If you can make it we are meeting at Miller’s Ale House in Lake Grove on 4/9, 6:00pm. We usually meet monthly at Matador Cigar in Happauge but thought that with the weather turning we’d take it outside this time. Hope you can make it and please don’t hesitate to PM me or @twangthang with any questions.
Ted

mysticpiper

Lurker
Mar 30, 2019
I'd LOVE to meet you, folks! It will depend on my work schedule. If I'm working that day I couldn't get there until 7:30-ish. At any rate, we WILL meet sooner or later. :)
Thanks for the warm welcome.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As the Forum's roving tech disaster, I have a lot of nerve to suggest it, but since Long Island covers so much territory, in addition to having the meetings at two or more locations, rotating to accommodate the membership, it might also work to have the technically adept members set up a Skype or similar platform to make the meetings available in two or more locations. It could be worth a try. If I were there, I just wouldn't be the person to do it!

mysticpiper

Lurker
Mar 30, 2019
Interesting idea! To clarify your concept in my mind a bit: Are you suggesting that a skype or Discord session be set up at these "rotating locations" so that members who could not be present physically, could be there electronically? ... or are you suggesting we could have meetings in various locations SIMULTANEOUSLY and have them "linked," as it were, via a Skype connection? Could you elaborate a bit more?
Thank you!
Q

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
mystic, being somewhat tech dysfunctional, I'd go for the simplest application, with skype used to bridge just two locations, the main one where the meeting was being conducted per se, and the secondary for folks to join in. I think having a number of different stations would cause confusion, maybe intermittent disconnects, etc. The skype bit would have to be unobtrusive or it would take over the meeting, which at best relies on informality and conversation that everyone can hear. The simpler the better, I'd suggest, with a trial session or two to see how it works, and if it is worth continuing. Boy, am I beyond my skill set! My sister, an author, has been guest speaker at various book clubs by skype and it worked pretty well. It does take one person at each location who is extra skype adept to tend "the beast."

skaukatt

Can't Leave
So glad to hear of a new club in Long Island! I wish you all the best and great success!
I live in Queens and am the pres. of the NY Pipe Club and would be interested in learning more about your club. I'd also like to suggest that both clubs arrange a meet up one of these months. I would love to extend an invitation to you all to join us at our next summer BBQ which is not scheduled yet but will definitely be this summer (July- Aug.) and at a club members house (back-yard) in Lynbrook, Long Is. I would love to know how to notify you.
If either myself or the NY Pipe Club can be of any assistance or help to you please do not hesitate to contact me anytime.
The best of luck!
Lou

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
MSO that sounds like a crazy but very cool idea... once we have our sea legs under us we will have to discuss that one.

I appreciate the welcome Lou. I am sure you know that the NYC Pipe Club casts a pretty long shadow over here on the island. :worship:

We will surely be in touch and hope to hook up soon!

mysticpiper

Lurker
Mar 30, 2019
It looks like I'm scheduled OFF on the 9th! My only issue now is that my wife is TERRIFIED that this new hobby of mine is a form of slow suicide. She's not happy I want to expand my relationships with local pipers. I've tried to allay her fears but to no avail (so far.) I'm not a heavy smoker; 1 to 3 bowls 4 times a week, but she had a non-smoker friend who died of lung cancer from SECOND-HAND SMOKE! Little I can say has lessened her fear that the same could happen to me.
At any rate, I WANT to be there with you folks. I'll see how I can work this out. It's a balancing act between doing what I enjoy and respecting my lady's fears.
Pray for me, fellow pipers!! lol.. :D

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Mystic piper, if we ever have a family bbq or something that you can coerce wifey to attend, mb my wife can work some magic on her. She's a nurse who both parents died of smoking related diseases and dilikes my smoking of anything but has learned to accept it, bought me pipes and listens to stories about the coocoos in the forums.. haha

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I wish we had a pipe club here in Tulsa. Some gentlemen tried to get one going several years ago but after a sparsely attended first meeting gave up on the idea. If there are any other forum members from the Tulsa area I would love to get a private message from them. I think Ted's Pipe Shop would encourage us.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
@Mysticpiper My wife barely tolerates my pipe smoking. She is always telling me I smoke too much, but I at least have her understanding that I enjoy the hobby and it is more than just smoking a pipe... If that makes sense.

@Tulsagentleman keep trying. It took a few years of trying to find some like minded people. If you don't find anyone here try Facebook and/or Instagram both have pretty active pipe groups. You may find the right combination of people.

mysticpiper

Lurker
Mar 30, 2019
I enjoy meeting new people and I "play well with others." I think I WILL be at the next meeting. Very much looking forward to it. :D

mysticpiper

Lurker
Mar 30, 2019
Is the meeting happening tonight? The weather forecast sounds a bit "iffy." I presume wherever we meet it will have to be outside to smoke, although, I suppose we can meet inside and have a meet-n-greet.
Happy puffing, friends. :)
Q

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
yeah, if it's sort of rainy why don't we set a place to meet, like at the bar or near the entrance..

mysticpiper

Lurker
Mar 30, 2019
As more moderate weather sets in we can probably also think about places to meet where there might be a covered yet outdoor area like a large gazebo in a park or benches near the shore or even a member's backyard... just food for thought.

mysticpiper

Lurker
Mar 30, 2019
@twangthang Good evening, Ted! I haven't seen any posts regarding our meeting tonight. Are we still on? As it happens, I can be there tonight! :)

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Hi there @mysticpiper, yes we are meeting tonight, Miller’s Ale House in Lake Grove. Things look good out my window, at least at the moment. We’ll be gathering on the back patio and if the weather doesn’t cooperate we’ll be behind the bar near the door to the back patio.

Status
Not open for further replies.