PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I picked up a dozen each of 16oz and 32oz wide mouth jars, and have a bunch of bags, rolled tins and boxes waiting to jump in and get tagged. My old scale failed badly through testing and wouldn’t adjust, so into the trash it went, my new scale didn’t arrive on Friday so they sit side by side. I was looking forward to making a mess and stuffing jars on Sunday, but hopefully tomorrow.
Craig

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Oh I agree with smaller jars on what I’ll be smoking. These are for the long term storage of 5+and 10+ years and especially the long flakes. I store those on the side to keep them straight and true. I believe when we enter into the 2020’s tobacco will be in a different type of market, and actually before that. Single pressed tins are one thing, but bulk and rolled tins are another. I may no longer smoke, or even be around, which makes them a commodity. But everyone should jar how and with what makes them feel comfortable, and even 4oz jars are fine.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I'm thinking y'all must smoke a lot of tobacco and smoke the same stuff very often.
I find the 8 ounce jars ideal because, since I enjoy variety, the 8 ounce jar (holds 2-3 ounces of tobacco) is like opening a tin to add to my rotation. And I like the fact that the same tobacco in the unopened jars continues to age.
+1. I even started splitting even 8oz portions up into 2x 4oz and for some blends even 4x 2oz (e.g., Fussilier's Ration) jars just because I like having one open once every couple of months to see how the aging changes a blend, and I can leave the other ones alone and not disturb their aging process...

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I buy bulk and separate by 4 ounce amounts. I vacuum seal the rest for later. Large jars just takes up to much room.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
So this makes me wonder... Sometimes I think I stuff too much tobacco into the 8oz jars. Can you put "too much" tobacco in a jar for long term storage? ie: Smash it too much?

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
We all store or age tobacco in different ways, and we all have our reasons. I have my reasons for treating certain tobacco different than others, and feel good about it. Just like everyone else feels good about the way they store or age theirs.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I dump tobacco in the jar. When the jar is full I cap it. No pushing or packing. I make sure it's even across the top and that's it. If I have a little extra, I smoke it up. If I have a lot extra, I start another jar. For storing, I vacuum seal it. That would be compacted because the air is sucked out to preserve the freshness.
What ever works for you.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Yeah, I make sure to actually not press it too much, and leave about two fingers width of air in the jars, so that the aging process (which I strongly believe needs Oxygen to happen) can take place.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
(which I strongly believe needs Oxygen to happen)
Without a debate starting and running the thread off track, you must have oxygen to start the ageing process. Storing tobacco with little or no VA, having the least amount of oxygen is better for a few reasons. So stuff them and vacuum seal them if you want. The biological needs for ageing VA require oxygen to start, and interrupting the storing (opening the container) sets the process back, and leads to a different flavor as one part of the ageing continues while the other has to start from the beginning. Filling the jar without pressing it and leaving two fingers of room is a great environment for maximizing both parts of ageing.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Some joker bought up all the Marlin Flake on smokingpipes.com. *shakes fist*
I just KNOW it was one of you unsavory types.
I'm one of those guys who only smoke a few blends. Those bulks go into the 16oz jars.

I intermix a few tins here and there to break it up. Got an order of tins to experiment with on the way as we speak.
I have a feeling I'll end up being the old guy who smokes one blend.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
i use pint and 1/2 pint.
just put in enough tobacco to fill the jar and worry not about the weight. it takes about a month to smoke up a pint jar.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
As the n00b looks on in awe... I'm just about to finish off one of my first 2oz samples (after packing away a bit for the cruise), so I'll have a fresh jar available for something shortly. But only about 2-4 ounces' worth... :D

maduroman

May 15, 2010
there is a dohicky that works with the bag vacume sealers for jars...

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I can see a point in actually vacuum sealing tobacco in bags. Would have been cool to have some "like fresh out of the tin" Balkan Sobranie preserved from 30 years ago, so that all the folks in throwdown contests wouldn't have had to try and imitate something that has been aging (and thus changing in flavor) for ever. Other than that, I actually do prefer aged tobacco, for its increased mellowness, and marrying of flavors to create a more harmonic and complex whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.