PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Aliens. I’m just saying.
Yup. Definitely this.

I'm sure because THESE guys were in my office room messing around when I came back from making a cheese sammich a few minutes ago, and after they sparkled out of existence I tried commenting again in the auction thread. This time it worked. :)

(Actual photo taken by me with an Olympus shop camera I have laying around... I'm quick.)

Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 11.06.50 PM.png

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Yup. Definitely this.

I'm sure because THESE guys were in my office room messing around when I came back from making a cheese sammich a few minutes ago, and after they sparkled out of existence I tried commenting again in the auction thread. This time it worked. :)

(Actual photo taken by me with an Olympus shop camera I have laying around... I'm quick.)

View attachment 110079

tumblr_8e7e78fc82dc64367e184b0ebbf392c2_7024451c_500.gif

I don't like this one bit..

Not one bit..

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As did I, but I was cheap and got the double 3.5 floppy drives and no hard drive....
Now, that was an SE, no? At any rate I had an early Mac with the twin drives.
I remember being in heaven with being able to both copy and have the O/S and some apps and files on one disk.

Then came real heaven, for $700 I splurged for a huge hard disk drive, holding far more apps and files I could then imagine using.

It was 20 Megabytes. You read that right. Smaller than a RAW file shot on about any modern camera.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Now, that was an SE, no? At any rate I had an early Mac with the twin drives.
I remember being in heaven with being able to both copy and have the O/S and some apps and files on one disk.

Then came real heaven, for $700 I splurged for a huge hard disk drive, holding far more apps and files I could then imagine using.

It was 20 Megabytes. You read that right. Smaller than a RAW file shot on about any modern camera.
Yep, it was an SE. I added an external HD (30 MB) for $350 about a year later. Fun times!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
1990? I Think I finally retired my Atari ST and switched to a homemade pc running SuSE Linux - having used a Windows machine at work there was no way I was having one of those at home and I couldn't afford a Mac at the time.
I had a mac G3 laptop and upgraded it to PPCLinux in 99. That was an ordeal for sure but it worked great!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Before I had any device at home, I was issued a desktop at work called a DecMate. People would ask me if I was running Microsoft or Mac, and I'd say I had a DecMate. Therein all my technological troubles started. Has anyone ever heard of this device? I think Dec made those big main frame computers of yore, and spun off desktops as a subsidiary of the big boys. The PC worked in a certain limited way, but was soon discontinued, shouldered over by the competitors. We needed an Apple for desktop publishing (as it was called then), but the acting director, who was a statistician, liked Microsoft, so we got that. Not ideal for creative stuff. Then the scientific director rebelled and mandated his people get Macs, but we were stuck with Microsoft. About that time, a gang of "young children" in t-shirts and jeans came and deposed us from our prime office space and opened up shop as tech support. I think it was aversion therapy and why I don't post many photos on Forums. This is irrational but possibly true. The aliens had arrived.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my not so humble opinion George should never have a post deleted as he has forgotten more than any of us have learned. Next time it happens I will have my attorney get involved and fix the problem. I mean no one screws with George out of the clear blue. George is an untouchable on this site. Even Kevin fears the wrath of George, and that is saying something.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Before I had any device at home, I was issued a desktop at work called a DecMate. People would ask me if I was running Microsoft or Mac, and I'd say I had a DecMate. Therein all my technological troubles started. Has anyone ever heard of this device? I think Dec made those big main frame computers of yore, and spun off desktops as a subsidiary of the big boys. The PC worked in a certain limited way, but was soon discontinued, shouldered over by the competitors. We needed an Apple for desktop publishing (as it was called then), but the acting director, who was a statistician, liked Microsoft, so we got that. Not ideal for creative stuff. Then the scientific director rebelled and mandated his people get Macs, but we were stuck with Microsoft. About that time, a gang of "young children" in t-shirts and jeans came and deposed us from our prime office space and opened up shop as tech support. I think it was aversion therapy and why I don't post many photos on Forums. This is irrational but possibly true. The aliens had arrived.
The early DECmate was a PDP 8 compatible (PDP being DECs early mini-computer range - first computer I ever programmed was a PDP-8 at school in 1977) running OS-8; I suspect you probably had one of the later versions which ran CP/M which for a time was the main rival to MS-DOS and Mac; the original ones were really word-processors and couldn't do much else.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yep, it was an SE. I added an external HD (30 MB) for $350 about a year later. Fun times!
Hell, yeah! What a deal you got- 50% more capacity for half the price. Now my phone and iPad, not to mention my computer, have thousands of times the capacity at almost no increase in price in constant dollars.

I am holding my breath awaiting a 16" MacBook Pro. It should make Photoshop fly like a word processor!!