PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyspiper

Lurker
Jan 3, 2019
For a year now I have been looking at radiator pipe thinking that the design and features must make it a good smoker. I held off, but kept running into it on Amazon where it just kept working on me. Something about it seemed to convince me that it must be good as the price was also quite high. I have several Kirsten pipes and even tried the Falcon years back and had a good experience with those, although nothing beats a good cob for me to date. I also read reviews where the reviewers praised it although the number of these is quite low.

So, in a weak moment, I dropped the 80 bucks for the stem and base and another 60 for the bowl. I got it a couple days later and just could not wait for maybe the best smoke I had in years (anticipation). Wow. What a let down. It does remove moisture, I have to admit that, but the entire experience is hot, ashy, and tasteless. I have tried all packs, humidity, tobaccos, drawing methods and wishful thinking. What's that old saying... A fool and his money are soon parted?

I guess its just another lesson of life. New design does not always make better. I will not mention the brand just in case its just me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ouch. You could get a lot of pipe from Nording, Peterson, Stanwell, or some artisans for that matter for $140. I don't think it was a mistake to look this pipe over and consider it. But you have to shop a lot of territory before you click an order. I'm sorry this happened to you, but I think you have taken it as a teachable moment. May your new skepticism serve you well.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Good to know although they never appealed to me anyway so I probably would have never bought one. I know of a few people that like their radiator pipes though, so it’s just like anything, can’t please everyone.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have one and have had the reverse experience. Always a perfect dry smoke. Also I’ve never had the experience where I smoke a tobacco and get no taste. Especially on something I smoke often. I don’t see how what your are describing happens and how the pipe could affect that. I’m not saying it can’t happen. I see lots of guys talk about smoking with no flavor. I just don’t understand how it happens.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
A fool and his money are soon parted?

I don't think that applies here. You saw something you thought would appeal to you and based on the information you had on hand, you took a shot. It didn't work out. In my opinion, life would be boring if we didn't try new things. You're out some cash, but maybe you could get some of it back by selling it or trading it for credit at one of the retailers?

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
So you experimented. I’m sure all of us have bought a pipe we didn’t like once we tried it. I bought a $300 freehand at a pipe show and absolutely hated it. I felt the same way after taking a beating selling it. C’est la vie

Reactions: jpmcwjr

willyspiper

Lurker
Jan 3, 2019
Thanks for the supportive comments. I didn't post any picture or be specific as I well know that others experiences may be different with this product and do not want to trash talk any manufacturer. So what is the purpose then you might ask for a rant? I guess its just to inform any newbies that the satisfaction level is not related to expenditure and its entirely possible to get the best out of piping with the most humble equipment and cheapest tobacco if it works for you.

As an after note: I found if I "pinch smoke" this pipe (just a couple pinches instead of filling the bowl in normal fashion), it can provide a decent smoke if only for a very short time. The key is it just may be quickly getting too hot using smoking techniques of most other pipes. May be related to the deep chimney design and thin walls. Almost impossible to keep from getting really hot very fast if you try to smoke without letting it go out frequently. A mini cob seems to give better taste though.

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The heat transmitted through the thin walls shouldn't affect the quality of the smoke, so your normal loading and smoking techniques should work all right.

And posting a photo isn't trash talking. It's your experience with a specific type.

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
Sorry it didn't work out but at least you didn't lie to yourself that it was amazing just because you spent a fair bit of money on it. However, it sounds like you're still giving it a chance so maybe there's something there...
Anwyays, thanks for sharing some valuable lessons and I hope you have better luck next time.

Reactions: UncleRasta

willyspiper

Lurker
Jan 3, 2019
follow up, not bumping...
In my effort to make this pipe work for me, I think I hit on the solution as alluded to on my earlier post. For my smoking style, tobacco condition and what not, I only fill my bowl about half way and lightly pack it. For me, the bowl seems like its too deep and narrow. My hypothesis is that if filled to top, the column of tobacco underneath filters out a lot of the initial light up flavor. When I get down about 1/3, then I and starting to burn the residue of the initial portion where its like smoking the bottom of other pipes which isn't always pleasant. By the time I hit 2/3, its like smoking stuff out of the bottom of an ashtray.

By only filling 1/3 to 12, the quality seems much better especially when I slow down even more than with other pipes. This puppy gets white hot real fast. It burns so hot at times that there is no smoke, just extreme heat. Its like it burns too efficiently like when you have a wood fire that does not give off smoke, but throws a lot of heat instead.

So, there is hope for this pipe and me. I still have to say my Country Gentleman, legend, and other cobs are easier to smoke if not as easy to clean.

Cheers!

pipe: H. Wiebe Midnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.