PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another nice one. The stain brightens it up quite a bit, and if the right side has fills the way the left must, you've handled them extremely well. I like the workbench shot too.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
Another nice one. The stain brightens it up quite a bit, and if the right side has fills the way the left must, you've handled them extremely well. I like the workbench shot too.
I'm ambivalent about fills. On a good pipe I'll fill them with sanding dust and superglue, hit 'em with accelerator, sand 'em, and so on...and they're still fills! In a way I think they're honest: Here I am, the stummel isn't perfect. What do you think?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm somewhat tolerant of fills. Years, decades ago, I bought three house pipes from Iwan Ries, a billiard, a Canadian, and a pocket pipe sort of Hungarian/Oom-Paul. These were Algerian briar, oil cured, made by the U.S. pipe maker Edwards in their sub-brand Benton. They each have a visible fill or two, maybe more under close examination, but well finished and solid after all these years.

The two larger pipes have bigger than average chambers, and all three have retained their newish look despite years of smoking. Those years ago, I think they were around $37 each, which would be at least twice or three times as much today. This experience has made me inclined to overlook fills and look to the overall quality of a pipe, which with these, is excellent.

Reactions: anotherbob

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I assume the gouges shown in the picture are still there. It depends on the cost as to whether I will tolerate fills. An inexpensive pipe, say less than $100 they are simply to be expected. As the price goes up they are less acceptable. I'd say at $500 they are totally unacceptable.

Reactions: FurCoat

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
I'm going to keep my eye open for a pipe I can rejuvenate that has fills in it and I'll post pictures as I tackle them. I think fills can devalue a pipe, but on the other hand, they're honest. I'm surprised the makers don't disguise them better...but maybe they do!

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm going to keep my eye open for a pipe I can rejuvenate that has fills in it and I'll post pictures as I tackle them. I think fills can devalue a pipe, but on the other hand, they're honest. I'm surprised the makers don't disguise them better...but maybe they do!
Some seem to do a better job of it then others. I have some pipes with fills that took a lot longer to notice because they filled them in a way that you have to look closesly at.