listing of other high quality pipe manufacturers ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
hi guys,
so everyone has heard of Savinelli and Peterson pipes, but what are some of the other high quality pipe manufacturers that won't break the bank and not "artisan" made?
so if Savinelli and Peterson are the BMW and Mercedes of the car world, what are the Audis, the Lexus, the Land Rovers of the pipe manufactures?
thanks
Todd

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
In no particular order

Savory's Argyle

Sassinini

Britania

Duncan

BBB

GBD

Barling

Ehrlich

Loewe

Hardcourt

Hardcastle

Orlik

Parker

Stanwell
I have all these brands in my rotation but all vintage, all made before 1970, keep in mind many makers have experienced diminished quality after transition periods that you may want to consider

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
atjurhs, Savenelli and Peterson are not the top flight pipes, at least in terms of price. I own a number of each and highly recommend them, but I would put them more in the Honda Accord class, well made, durable and reliable. You go up from there to pipes that go into the hundreds and thousands of dollars, almost any price you can name. Other moderately priced pipes with Sav and Peterson include Chacom, Butz-Choquin, Stanwell, Big Ben, Nording, Genod, Johs ... and many others. Roam through the pipe pages of our sponsors -- smokingpipes.com, pipesandcigars.com, iwanries.com, 4noggins.com, and others, to learn more brands. Most of what they carry is quality, although individual pipes may occasionally not live up to their brands. Also, you will become familiar with the high end and very high end. Also, there are economical pipes that are very good -- Dr. Grabow briars and Missouri Meerschaum and Old Dominion cobs, for examples. Welcome aboard.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
thanks for the welcoming!
i do have a Chacom and a Erik Stokkerbie and they are both nice pipes! i'm looking to add to my collection, but there are soooo many makers out there that it's hard for a pipe newbie (cigar old timer) to know what to filter on in my search, and i don't have much of a local pipe shop to help me out.
for my next pipe i'd like to get an amber prince and keep it under $250 but i also don't want to over pay for a piece of chunk pipe, and not knowing quality pipe makers that could easily happen.
thanks again for the listing if qood quality pipes!
Todd

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Can't forget Brigham pipes, although their higher end pipes have black acrylic stems rather than amber. Maybe one of their 'Acadian' pipes would be of interest.
Here's a link to Brighams at smokingpipes.com link

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
@stickframer, not a "has to be" on the amber stem, and i'm not sure what kind of wood it would be, but a pretty amber colored zulu bowl is a requirement.
@jeff, a few years back, i had an LR3 for several years, i really liked it, very capable luxury machine, but when it started burning oil as it went out of warranty, and a $5000 + repair bill was pending, it had to go!

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
anyone know any reason why i shouldn't make an offer on this pipe?
if it's of good quality then it fits my liking
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RATTRAYS-PREMIUM-GRAIN-FLAWLESS-39-PRINCE-PIPE-NEW-in-BOX-FREE-ADAPTER-/311463527612?hash=item4884ac44bc:g:dsYAAOSw14xWG~dD

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'd say a more apt analogy would be that Peterson and Savinelli are like Miller and Anheuser Busch. Each has many different product lines from their premium products down to their bargain brands, all with varying degrees of price and quality.
This is just my opinion, but beware of pipes that have a familiar name (like Rattrays and Stokkebye) but aren't known for PIPES. There are no Rattrays or Stokkebye pipe factories. Instead, they're made by a third party. I don't know anything about Stokkebye pipes, and I've heard that Rattray pipes are made in France by Butz Choquin. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know. I like the look of that Rattray prince, but it seems a bit pricey to me, especially when it's not really known where or who made it.
But if you like it, buy it, smoke it, and enjoy it. The only opinion that matters is yours.
Good luck.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
s-l1600.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For my druthers, the shank and stem are too thick for a Prince. But it should be fine if YOU like it.
Also check out the dealers in estate pipes who are site sponsors.

Jan 8, 2013
Peterson and Savinelli are like Miller and Anheuser Busch. Each has many different product lines from their premium products down to their bargain brands, all with varying degrees of price and quality.
exactly. Peterson and Savinelli have a tendency to get thrown nearly into the basket pipe category. But they are both actually good brands that have some great mid to higher range pipes.
but will it smoke nicely?
That's something you really may not know until you've had a few smokes in any pipe regardless of price. I have some lower cost pipes that smoke better than some of my higher cost pipes. But if a pipe is very well made with higher quality briar, your chances of a great smoking pipe are higher.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
The Rattray pipe seems very run of the mill to me... I like it for $60-$80... If it were my $200 I'd look at Mimmo Provenzano, Luciano, Tinskey, Boswells, Upshall, Cardinal House, Omar King, Jacano, L'Anatra and even Ashton... There are so many nice hand finished/handmade pipes out there... Rattrays are nice and all, they just seem over-priced for something factory finished... IMO
One of my favorite things to do is to go to smoking pipes .com and type "unsmoked" in the search bar... you get a lot of nicely priced unsmoked/new estate pipes to choose from.

Dec 28, 2015
^ I completely agree with the suggestion of Luciano and Mimmo Provenzano. I have s couple of each and they are a nice step up from Savinelli and Peterson without breaking the bank.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really like Luciano both for quality and for their including the year in their stamping. My only reluctance is that their prices have gone up far faster than inflation and the weight of the pipes seems to have gone from moderate to pretty heavy, although they still offer a few lighter weight, easier to clench pipes, but you have to remember to look at the weights. I have a blast billiard with a saddle stem and a nicely balanced author, both good smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.