PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A member here sold me this Lions Head 256 via eBay. I'm a big fan of the rare and highly sought after shape 256. First line Comoy's became too expensive to keep, and I sold my Old Bruyere a few years ago. So this is a nice replacement, I won't mind smoking. I don't find this shape in any Comoy's literature. A full write up of the restoration is in the Reborn Pipes blog entry:

A fairly simple restoration. Before:

Lions Head_256_Before (1).jpgLions Head_256_Before (2).jpgLions Head_256_Before (3).jpgLions Head_256_Before (4).jpg

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Wonderful resto and i have to say i really am taken by the lines, or really the lack of lines, taken by the curves and flow of the form, can’t say i e 3ver seen anything like it.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
ssjones:

Lions Head is a marque that I somehow missed, but I like the shape and love the results of your restoration. Well done, Sir! How does it smoke? Please let us know.

You mentioned Guildhall in your third post above. I find this marque to be representative of fine pipes for the money, and (sadly) one that often seems to be overlooked or dismissed because it is a secondary line. I have three Guildhall estate billiards, and all are great smokers. Your thoughts?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
ssjones:

Lions Head is a marque that I somehow missed, but I like the shape and love the results of your restoration. Well done, Sir! How does it smoke? Please let us know.

You mentioned Guildhall in your third post above. I find this marque to be representative of fine pipes for the money, and (sadly) one that often seems to be overlooked or dismissed because it is a secondary line. I have three Guildhall estate billiards, and all are great smokers. Your thoughts?
Sure Guildhalls are great values, the stem work isn't quite Comoys level, but more than adequate.