PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As shiny as it is, the patent stamping may have been buffed off. I've got a patent era with the stem propeller and the silver circle on the shank. Patent numbers on both the briar and stem.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've got 3 propeller pipes with Linkman's lineage. All have or had those 'scoop' looking stingers, and screw together. They are among the most prized of my pipes and none look as pristine as yours do.
I think that the square shanked pipe has not been over buffed. If the patent # isn't on the other side of the shank, it likely was not put on.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've got 3 propeller pipes with Linkman's lineage. All have or had those 'scoop' looking stingers, and screw together. They are among the most prized of my pipes and none look as pristine as yours do.
I think that the square shanked pipe has not been over buffed. If the patent # isn't on the other side of the shank, it likely was not put on.
I agree with this.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I only have the square shank pictured above and a small Belvedere. The other patent era stuff went to a mate who is obsessed with hey-day tobacciana. I sorted him with a 7day set - 5 early linkman’s, a pre-pat/post-law suit Viking and early white coloured adjustomatic featuring the captain black boat on the side. I have dispersed a few around the country too for people getting into pipes. with tobacco prices being so high, I refuse to let anyone start off on the wrong foot with a shoddy piece of briar. About 20 linkman’s and LHS pipes were sent over by a generous forum member for the operation. After trying most of them, I agree that the pre-44 era stuff is top class. I’d also say that the blue spade (filtered) first release grand duke was really good.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’m not sure it has fallen prey to over zealous buffing, but I’m not certain. And while I’m 90% sure it is pre-patent, that is a pretty big claim to make. I was hoping someone here would have some pre-patents in their collection so we could compare. The chamber, bit and stinger/tenon are all in great condition1C50834E-3422-4E38-BFAD-A322460FCA69.jpeg532A59AD-6BD4-40A8-8B6B-2ED573E65BA9.jpeg9E61EB2D-E17A-4B43-867B-DDC02D7B07EE.jpeg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Except for the lack of a shield on top of the shank, that pipe, metal tenon and all looks like the patent LDG that I have.
Linkman's_Dr. Grabow_Deluxe9708B_pot.jpg

Have you tried using a magnifying glass to see if there's any remnants of a patent number? I don't know if you can prove your pipe is a pre-patent, but I know a guy who may have an idea. I'll PM you his address.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Thanks Jim.

I’ve had a good look with the magnifying glass and can’t see any remnants of stamping. What i find strange is the lack of model/shape number too. While I had these other pipes I compared the stampings between them to see if it would help place it. E69315A2-C5CB-4678-A0D0-10251E2179FB.jpeg6E2007BC-41A8-439D-B7E9-F3102113CE17.jpeg

Reactions: JimInks

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Enjoy that pipe!

I never thought much of Dr. Grabow starting out as a pipe smoker, but boy oh boy, some of the older Estates are sure sweet.

My 1967-1969, Commodore 65 Zulu doesn’t have a stinger on it, and it has some really insane blast on it, which ai never expected to see such blast on these pipes.

I’d love to find more nice Estate Dr. Grabow, just don’t know other than RadiantPipes on Etsy, anyone else who specializes in them.

559B5C7B-182E-4685-8228-C89D73EBEDB4.jpeg

B9CBD6A3-ABE6-485A-B080-0C028C92AD12.jpeg

9DE142A3-50C9-45F7-B560-4685B3BA510E.jpeg

93120E5B-BE62-4260-9C2C-1EA7BD5C352D.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Just got schooled on this linkman’s:

“Those factories were so big before the war they had people/machines cracking out pieces parts. After the war the supply chain was fucked. Like now.

They did what they could to keep the service folks, many of whom started smoking a pipe bought at the base store, knee deep in pipes.

Pipe smoking was huge until the early 80’s.

That pipe is post patent. My guess is 1945-55.

After the war scraps were turned in to pipes.

Kaywoodie and LHS did the same thing.

Those are the most challenging years to date”

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Enjoy that pipe!

I never thought much of Dr. Grabow starting out as a pipe smoker, but boy oh boy, some of the older Estates are sure sweet.

My 1967-1969, Commodore 65 Zulu doesn’t have a stinger on it, and it has some really insane blast on it, which ai never expected to see such blast on these pipes.

I’d love to find more nice Estate Dr. Grabow, just don’t know other than RadiantPipes on Etsy, anyone else who specializes in them.

Enjoy that pipe!

View attachment 106899

View attachment 106901

View attachment 106904

View attachment 106902

Curious why you believe this is specifically 67 - 69? Commodore started in 1960, and went for 30 years. I will agree that it's an earlier one, because the spade appears to be the more "pearlescent" material as opposed to the pure white which followed. I'd agree with 60's.

Reactions: JimInks and Ahi Ka

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Just got schooled on this linkman’s:

“Those factories were so big before the war they had people/machines cracking out pieces parts. After the war the supply chain was fucked. Like now.

They did what they could to keep the service folks, many of whom started smoking a pipe bought at the base store, knee deep in pipes.

Pipe smoking was huge until the early 80’s.

That pipe is post patent. My guess is 1945-55.

After the war scraps were turned in to pipes.

Kaywoodie and LHS did the same thing.

Those are the most challenging years to date”

I disagree with 1945 - 55. Grabows made after 1944 were not stamped with the Linkman name. Your pipe has 1930's written all over it, despite the missing information. The custom 'propeller' (which were often so custom that you'd think someone used a hatchet to cut it in) and the linkman stamping put it most definitely in the 1930's or early 40's latest before they changed over to a spade, and then eliminated the Linkman name. Could it be pre-patent? It could be. Or much more likely...it could be that BEFORE it received the silver shield onto the shank...the line name (DeLuxe, Tru-Grain, etc), the patent number, the shape stamping...that a factory worker gave himself a 5-finger discount. This happened a LOT during all Grabow history. We don't know what line this was, nor it's exact age...but with that stinger and propeller, I'm betting my marbles on 1930's. Just not betting on pre-patent...because it's not just the patent #1896800 that's missing...but most of the stampings never made it onto this pipe.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Thanks for weighing in @joeman. Your conclusion feels right to me - this pipe also has a couple of obvious fills on it, whereas the other patent deluxes I’ve had were a lot cleaner wood stock.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Curious why you believe this is specifically 67 - 69? Commodore started in 1960, and went for 30 years. I will agree that it's an earlier one, because the spade appears to be the more "pearlescent" material as opposed to the pure white which followed. I'd agree with 60's.

Peter the owner of RadiantPipes on Etsy where I bought it, said he specializes in Dr. Grabow and Kaywoodie and listed it with these dates.

Also the way I’m reading Pipedia on Dr. Grabow, the Commodore is from 1964 and the blasts started in 67-69, which were also listed under Sculptura which were 67-69.

————————-
  • COMMODORE (c1964) -- First appears in a magazine ad for $7.95 as early as 1964. Like the Sculptura, later models were sandblasted in a "big" blast circa 1967-69 (See "Sculptura" for details.)

• SCULPTURA (c1967-69?) -- Newest of the RJR special offer pipes. These were sandblasted in a "big" blast. The operator stood with his hands in heavy rubber gloves and blasted away grain. He could only do about 50 pieces an hour. Prior to this, most "sandblasted" pipes were tumbled in a contraption like a cement mixer using walnut shells as the media. Dr. Grabow really never got into that, but waited until they could do it "right" using glass shot.
————————-

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Forgot to mention, from reading around, since this is blasted, and looks somewhat similar to other ‘big blast’ I’ve seen, this I believed is why it’s listed as 67-69 for the ‘big blast’ circa.