PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I occasionally peruse the pipe section of eBay, though I rarely buy any more. This morning there was a listing for a Lindbergh pipe which piqued my curiosity because of my interest in history. I took a look and bought the thing as the "buy it now" was very reasonable.
X6ddfpD.jpg

xqh35CC.jpg

Si2uzGF.jpg

fLpHlSR.jpg

Not an expensively made pipe at the time, but an nice intersection between pipes and history.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I've wondered about these. They are often on ebay here in Germany and in different styles. One had a horn stem and other differences. They all say New York-Paris, Lindbergh. Here is one on German Ebay with a diamond shank: Lindbergh Pipe

The meer lining on yours looks pristine!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks, guys! I've seen a few of these. I imagine they were made in the thousands to commemorate Lindbergh's solo crossing. This one was clearly intended for the US market since it says "MADE IN FRANCE". That it's unsmoked was a selling point for me. The stem should clean up like new.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lindberg was one of the early American mega-celebrities, which both immortalized his life and damaged it in various ways, the later kidnapping of his child and his relationship with the rise of the Nazi regime with their interest in aeronautics. So this pipe reflects that tender moment in history where his mere name sent out sparks of admiration. It's appropriately a handsome example of industrial design. Lindberg was a farsighted designer of aircraft which is why he succeeded first with his flight. His plane, The Spirit of St. Louis, was a masterpiece of prioritization, economy, and spareness; he gave up a front windshield substituted with a periscope to make room for yet another fuel tank -- but that's an easy example. The whole plane was conceptualized that way. Then there was the whole problem of staying awake to fly the plane, which he managed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.