PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Thanks to very careful researchers like jguss, the real, true story of a man named Lee who in late 1945 planned to take on the huge, giant KB&B corporation makers of millions and millions of pipes a year, will be better than any legend a storyteller might spin up.

One thing nobody can deny.

Government defense spending had killed the Great Depression.

YearUnemployment Rate (December)Annual GDP Growth
194014.6%8.8%
19419.9%17.7%
19424.7%18.9%
19431.9%17.0%
Before the war, my parents said every town with a railroad stop, just outside of town had a hobo jungle.

Even as late as 1939 there were millions and millions of young men who simply could not find work.

When Hitler’s tanks invaded Poland America was pitifully, and utterly unable to muster any serious military power, because of Charles Lindbergh and other isolationists, convincing the public America should be isolationist.
——
Public opinion polling was still in its infancy as World War II approached, but surveys suggested the force of events in Europe in 1940 had a powerful impact on American ideas about the war. In January of that year, one poll found that 88% of Americans opposed the idea of declaring war against the Axis powers in Europe. As late as June, only 35% of Americans believed their government should risk war to help the British. Soon after, however, France fell, and in August the German Luftwaffe began an all-out bombing campaign against Great Britain. The British Royal Air Force valiantly repelled the German onslaught, showing that Hitler was not invincible. A September 1940 poll found that 52% of Americans now believed the United States ought to risk war to help the British. That number only increased as Britain continued its standoff with the Germans; by April 1941 polls showed that 68% of Americans favored war against the Axis powers if that was the only way to defeat them.
—-
After Pearl Habor, my parents said the hoboes outside town vanished, all gone off to war or defense jobs.

The Manhattan Project was so secret Vice President Harry S Truman only learned of it after FDR died in April 1945.

But even then, the engineers didn’t know if it would work.

But it did work.

But that also meant over seven million boys were coming home to a defense industry shut down as tight as a liquor store on Sunday in a Baptist town.

While many economists feared a return to the Great Depression , Lee was planning to make the world’s finest pipes.

You can’t make up better legends, than real life.:)

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This is my rare Dunhill/Pipe by Lee 1 White Spot/10 Star collaboration I posted in the WAYS thread back in December.

View attachment 162924
Why didn’t Lee use date codes?

I know my Parker Super Briar was made in 1925, and a Parker was a Dunhill Briarlee. It has a wonderfully well hand cut vulcanite stem that still twists on and off like it’s 1926, and it’s blasted.

If there is a 7 pointed star era Lee that wasn’t smooth, oil finished, and with a perfectly hand fitted vulcanite stem I’ve not seen it yet. They look like that Dunhill White Spot only Made in USA, with a slimmer bowl, and usually fancier grain.

6C3EDBC2-D546-491D-92D7-718FF4E2F190.jpegBE15083F-CFD0-43F5-88AE-9A78D5EDA5C2.jpeg

A Kaywoodie has a shape number stamp and a Lee does not.

Thanks to jguss we know the $5 Two Star and $10 Three Star grades were store displayed.

$15 Four Star and $25 Five Star grades may have been the postwar forties customer asking the merchant for a custom, which explains why there are so many more Three Star grades than Two Star grades, and Five Star grades than Four Stars seen today.

Lee Star Grades weren’t sold to the ragged and poor.

A Briarlee was a dollar and a Gold Coast $3.50, all there beside each other, and the customer was looking at a Lee display case.

Buy the best, or don’t buy.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Why didn’t Lee use date codes?

I know my Parker Super Briar was made in 1925, and a Parker was a Dunhill Briarlee. It has a wonderfully well hand cut vulcanite stem that still twists on and off like it’s 1926, and it’s blasted.

If there is a 7 pointed star era Lee that wasn’t smooth, oil finished, and with a perfectly hand fitted vulcanite stem I’ve not seen it yet. They look like that Dunhill White Spot only Made in USA, with a slimmer bowl, and usually fancier grain.

View attachment 162947View attachment 162948

A Kaywoodie has a shape number stamp and a Lee does not.

Thanks to jguss we know the $5 Two Star and $10 Three Star grades were store displayed.

$15 Four Star and $25 Five Star grades may have been the postwar forties customer asking the merchant for a custom, which explains why there are so many more Three Star grades than Two Star grades, and Five Star grades than Four Stars seen today.

Lees, weren’t sold to the ragged and poor.

A Briarlee was a dollar and a Gold Coast $3.50, all there beside each other, and the customer was looking at a Lee display case.

Buy the best, or don’t buy.
I wonder if date codes were shunned to avoid spoiled milk syndrome—a friend of mine and I had a record company between 1989–2001—he was loath to put dates on releases because he felt people wouldn’t purchase them if they weren’t perceived as being new and fresh.

You may have missed it in the WAYS thread awhile back, but, your ruminations and pontificating on Lee pipes the last several months inspired me to acquire four unsmoked Lee pipes, one of which I have smoked and enjoyed (the three in the box set will remain unsullied).

IMG_20220718_182919.jpg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I wonder if date codes were shunned to avoid spoiled milk syndrome—a friend of mine and I had a record company between 1989–2001—he was loath to put dates on releases because he felt people wouldn’t purchase them if they weren’t perceived as being new and fresh.

You may have missed it in the WAYS thread awhile back, but, your ruminations and pontificating on Lee pipes the last several months inspired me to acquire four unsmoked Lee pipes, one of which I have smoked and enjoyed (the three in the box set will remain unsullied).

View attachment 162949
Last year’s record, sells about as well as past dated milk.:)

When I was a kid, I learned all the words to every hit country song the Disc Jockeys spun at constant country KWTO in beautiful Springfield, Missouri from about 1960 to about the time I got a driver’s license in 1974.

Since a dealer couldn’t cherry pick fresh Kaywoodies, neither would Lee allow it.

All Pipes by Lee were as fresh as home baked apple pie.

And it was wise to buy them while they were hot, because each one, was a LIMITED EDITION.:)

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Dunhill sometimes drills their round White Spot hole too deep and this mistake causes a black spot pipe. It’s well known.

Real or fake? It’s a beautiful, perfect briar, large bent pipe I paid $100 for over the internet on this forum last October. It’s obviously not a factory authorized Dunhill because it was stamped NOT FOR SALE. Also, the button is not well made. Someone had to shorten the pipe, and did a horrible job recutting the button.

The White Spot is flawless.
We’re all familiar with your humped up Dunhill not for sale debacle…
Lee Star Grades had an extremely difficult to fake trade stamp.
A couple hundred bucks and I can have the stamps I need by the end of the week.

Buy a box of stummels… Unfinished Pipes - https://rnatreasures.com/collections/unfinished-pipes

Get a used imprinting machine..,

Fabrication job shop to make the metal bits…

I can sell you a brand spanking new unsmoked Lee for the low low price of $ 39.98 ea. ???

Top that tale…

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: beefeater33

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Unless they were uninformed…
There sure are a lot of barely smoked $10 Lee Three Stars still around.

Not very many $1 Briarlees, though.

Imagine a general store way out in Bug Tussle, Missouri, in 1946. People are looking at the pipe display.

Ten dollars for the best limited edition new gold star Lee for the soldier boy home from the war.

Or some old man spending a dollar on his next pipe.

Those old pipes, can talk if you’ll listen.:)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
We’re all familiar with your humped up Dunhill not for sale debacle…

A couple hundred bucks and I can have the stamps I need by the end of the week.

Buy a box of stummels… Unfinished Pipes - https://rnatreasures.com/collections/unfinished-pipes

Get a used imprinting machine..,

Fabrication job shop to make the metal bits…

I can sell you a brand spanking new unsmoked Lee for the low low price of $ 39.98 ea. ???

Top that tale…
Why are there Kaywoodie and Dunhill collectors, but there is a cult of Pipes by Lee.

They all three used the same raw materials.

Lee was the highest priced, at $25.

It was the most expensive pipe you could order at the stores where Lees were sold.

Attachments

• 3984BC45-3C60-4C87-90B4-107540916356.jpeg
    3984BC45-3C60-4C87-90B4-107540916356.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 2
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Each Lee stem screws on another, but none will line up unless adjusted by a pair of common pliers.

Try that with a Dunhill or Kaywoodie.

View attachment 162994

To this day, Lee has the best mortise, stinger and tenon ever put on any pipe.

View attachment 162995The only reason Dunhill doesn’t use it, is pride.

That’s the best way.

I'm telling you right now.. Those don't look right.

• Haha
Reactions: Briar Lee

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Try that with a Dunhill or Kaywoodie.
Why? To what purpose? A couple of my criteria for purchasing a pipe is eye appeal, fit and finish. Why intentionally disrupt eye appeal, fit and/or finish?

I always, when reading your posts get the impression that you are simply stirring the pot as it were. Either that or you are bored and sometimes post a "stream of consciousness" because ... you can.

Reactions: woodrow and petes03

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Why? To what purpose? A couple of my criteria for purchasing a pipe is eye appeal, fit and finish. Why intentionally disrupt eye appeal, fit and/or finish?

I always, when reading your posts get the impression that you are simply stirring the pot as it were. Either that or you are bored and sometimes post a "stream of consciousness" because ... you can.
To prove Lee Star Grades were assembly line made, using the best tenon, stinger and mortise ever devised.

In 1946 only the cheapest dollar a pipe retail Briarlee production was Dunhill type push stem.

760286FC-126D-4C7B-B207-A3B407C1FECC.jpeg

Right beside the dollar push stem pipes were $5 Two Star grade and this $10 Three Star Medium Prince:

3d803bad-8124-4fb1-855e-2992bfb1e14f-jpeg.163013

I’m on my third Lee Three Star, and my day is not half done.

DF739C84-530F-45DF-B7F3-26E575E602CD.jpegWhile jguss researches the story of Lee, I’m right busy enjoying the best pipes in the world in 1946.:)

Attachments

• 3D803BAD-8124-4FB1-855E-2992BFB1E14F.jpeg
    3D803BAD-8124-4FB1-855E-2992BFB1E14F.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 69

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
To prove Lee Star Grades were assembly line made, using the best tenon, stinger and mortise ever devised.

In 1946 only the cheapest dollar a pipe retail Briarlee production was Dunhill type push stem.

View attachment 163011

Right beside the dollar push stem pipes were $5 Two Star grade and this $10 Three Star Medium Prince:

View attachment 163015While jguss researches the story of Lee, I’m right busy enjoying the best pipes in the world in 1946.:)
I thought your assertion was that all Lee Star grades were hand made, i.e. “Bench Made” in 1940’s parlance, equating to modern Artisan pieces…

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.

View attachment 163011

View attachment 163015While jguss researches the story of Lee, I’m right busy enjoying the best pipes in the world in 1946.:)
Just curious, do you collect other pipes from thay Era? (1940s)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I thought your assertion was that all Lee Star grades were hand made, i.e. “Bench Made” in 1940’s parlance, equating to modern Artisan pieces…
Nope.

Kaywoodie during the war utilized high grade but flawed briar, and hand carved the “Hand Made” series.

Lee pipes were assembly line made.

Let’s go over the unique parts Lee used.

Kaywoodie used a glued in mortise that left an aluminum ring.

Lee Star Grades had a recessed, hidden and invisible when assembled screwed in and glued mortise. A Lee mortise might come unscrewed, but the owner can repair it.

FFF68DF2-48C6-4BBF-B03F-D62967D7D688.jpeg
The very first? Lees sometimes come unscrewed, but it’s not a problem a few drops of super glue won’t fix.

Kaywoodie had a one piece stinger and screw tenon, that was glued in. Adjustment is often impossible or can only be done by heating.

The Lee stinger is detachable from the screw tenon by the user, near universal pipe to pipe, and the screw tenon on a Lee can easily be re-clocked by the user with a pair of common pliers. It’s better.

Every factory pipe is hand finished.

All Lee Star grades were finished not to a glossy shine, but a warm glow of quality.

If they were not oil cured like a Dunhill was in 1946, Lee did something to make them taste incredibly, indescribably sweet from the first puff. They cake easily.

There are lots of very high condition Lee Star Grades offered online, at a lot lower prices than comparable Kaywoodie pipes and a mere fraction of old Dunhill pipes.

But the fact is that in 1946 the most expensive regularly cataloged pipe on earth was the $25 Five Star grade Lee.

It’s a David versus Goliath story, in post war America.

David didn’t win, but he gave it one hell of a try.:)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri