Like Some Advice on what Tobaccos to Buy Next.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Title edited for capitalization and brevity. - JPM

Hey there. I don't know if any of you remember me - just know that I was THE absolute noob 3 years ago. Then I gradually lost my interest in pipe smoking, and went back, gradually, to nearly smoking only cigarettes (kreteks) ; but that aside, the cigarette habit is becoming less and less pleasing to me, and I'm experimenting with some new tobaccos.
Intro aside, some context about to day might be useful too. These years, I've noticed that 1 specific aro made me ecstatic - and that was Molto Dolce. I also kind of enjoy MacBaren Vanilla Cream (tin and pouch) but it's not as punchy and strong-flavoured like Dolce.
As for non-aros, there's one which grew on me over the years and its name is Black Frigate. I also still like Peterson Irish Blend but it would only work as a seasoning today because I find it too strong.
So, my questions and wishes:
For aros:
I would like to have a regular aro to always smoke like I would with Molto Dolce. My eyes are flirting with MacBarens Amphora Full and Amphora Burley, but I dont know if their tastes are as punchy and delicious as Dolce is, or even if stronger than MB Vanilla Cream. Their prices are inviting since they cost half of Dolce, so Im a little skepticsl. But If 1 could or 2-3 regular aros for everyday smoking it would be more-than-amazing !
As for non-aros:
Black Frigate grew on me SO much that after 3 (three!) years I still dream of those flavours. Any other non aro is so well-rounded with an exotic topping and all-around good tobacco flavour?
For the bottom line: FIRST thank you all in advance. And my plan is to:
Per month
Buying 1-3aros (depending on price and taste
Buying also 1 non- aro (and alternating if there is something more exotic and addictive than B.Frigate) - for example Red Odessa tastes exotic for mr, but in an awful way.
Thats it, comrades. Thank you all, even if for reading this only....

Last edited by a moderator:

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Hello and welcome back from West Virginia. I don't think you will find an aro like Molto Dolce. That caramel, vanilla flavoring in quite strong if you like aromatics. I smoke mostly non-aromatics and mostly burley based, but if I want a sweet, gooey smoke Molto Dolce is near the top of the list.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Hello and welcome back from West Virginia. I don't think you will find an aro like Molto Dolce. That caramel, vanilla flavoring in quite strong if you like aromatics. I smoke mostly non-aromatics and mostly burley based, but if I want a sweet, gooey smoke Molto Dolce is near the top of the list.
Yes, I heard that Molto is like the top aro ever. But is there any other with strong non-artificial toppings? What about Amphora Full? Anything stronger than MacBaren Vanilla would do for me.
And what about something akin to Black Frigate? Like, strong taste but not simply pure tobacco flavours.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You might try the Amphora sampler so you can sample both their aromatic blends and some non-aromatic blends that might please you more than you think, over time. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic might also be worth a try, burley based with Virginia as a condiment and flavored with three liqueurs, pretty fancy for a codger blend. Mixture No. 79 with anisette flavoring is a popular blend despite Forums jokes about it ... I think it's pretty good. Aromatics are 95% of the pipe tobacco market, so you can probably find something you like, with time, persistence, and patience.

Reactions: newbroom

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Aromatics are 95% of the pipe tobacco market, so you can probably find something you like, with time, persistence, and patience.
Can totally believe that, but isn’t it almost funny that we spend so much time here over non-aromatics?
On topic, not much to add as I don’t smoke them other than Lakelands, and they are a different ball game. Even something like MacBaren Vanilla is borderline too much for me.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I second the notion of the Amphora sampler. I like Amphora full and smoke it often. It is, however, not a full blast aromatic like dolce. Try sutliff Pannacotta and Dan tobacco Devil's holiday for a fuller flavor aromatic.

Reactions: mrmachado

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I think you like a lot of flavoring in your tobacco. I don't know if you find them where you are but I suggest Mac Baren Cube and Rattray Exotic Passion and are among the most strongly flavored aromatic tobaccos I know. Both have a lot of sweet fruit flavors. Another to try is Gawith & Hoggarth Ennerdale.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’d give GH and try, particularly coniston cut plug and bosun - just because you mentioned clove cigs.

But to be honest, if I had a single blend I was still dreaming about 3 years later, I would count myself lucky that it’s still available and stock up on it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't done a survey of pipe smokers across the board, so I can't really define what's going on. I'd speculate that people who come to a Forums are more involved and adventurous that the majority who just want to find one to three blends they like, often aromatics, and six or eight pipes that smoke well, and leave the new blends and expanded conversation on the subject to others. My dad smoked Granger, a molasses flavored aromatic, from age 15 to 65, and only owned one pipe at a time, so I can respect that.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Try a couple of Mac Baren blends with toppings that are moderate and still allow some tobacco flavor to seep through. Original Choice, Dark Twist Roll Cake and Club Blend. If you want something sopping wet with flavoring like Molto Dolce, try Cult Blood Red Moon. Another would be C&D Autumn Evening, it's quite good for an Aro.

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Check out The country squire.
Recently discovered them myself in the last couple weeks. Price is decent and they have both a Couple pretty strongly flavored Areos I've come to enjoy and a Areo English that's a pretty tasty mix of tobacco with a bit of extra flavoring. Plus you can order up a single Oz sampler to try first.
Would suggest Old Toby and Hunting Creek so much so I will be ordering up at least a Lb of each this week.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
As a beginner, I did experiment with an aro or two and they were a learning experience.
I soon transitioned to VaPa's, burleys, and some Orientals like Izmir.
Lately, I've enjoyed mixing in some 'flavored' or aromatic tobacco with some of my less flavored bulks, and have found that Lane's Dark Red works really well and even drew a compliment from a friend who got a whiff or two as I sat on his porch trying to convert him to pipes from cigs. (he smokes 305 menthols and has freaking copd)

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Arrowhead from Paul’s Pipe Shop is very flavorful. It has some proportion of nearly every tobacco variety, plus solid doses of caramel, vanilla, and honey toppings
I am a big fan of Arrowhead and Paul's Pipe Shop. To me, it is similar to 1-Q, but on steroids and more flavorful.

Note, Paul's takes phone orders (the website is ancient) and will ship if you can't make it to Flint.

Reactions: krizzose