PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Lots of lightning bugs this time of year here in western Virginia. Only annoyance is the occasional one that gets into the bedroom and makes my dog go berserk at 2:00am

f5rd2hy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2017
NV
I was reading this book (Where the Crawdads Sing, Delia Owens 2018) and it mentioned a certain female firefly with mimic the mating light signal of another different species and then eat it when it nears.

10 Fascinating Facts About Fireflies

^ see Some Are Cannibals

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
We took my youngest daughter to Iowa for College in July. I was hoping to see Fireflies, which I have missed since childhood in PA, I guess weather was too cool?..in the 80s. But one evening sitting at the Motel, next to a Soybean field I caught sight of something..it was them..watched as they migrated back into the field. Wish fulfilledpuffy

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I love lightning bugs. Unfortunately they're not very common in the Chicago area any longer (at least compared to 40 years ago). Pesticides I suppose.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I love lightning bugs. Unfortunately they're not very common in the Chicago area any longer (at least compared to 40 years ago). Pesticides I suppose.
I lived in Hyde Park in the late 80s and firefires were quite common there then. It's the only place I've ever lived with fireflies and I miss them.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I lived in Hyde Park in the late 80s and firefires were quite common there then. It's the only place I've ever lived with fireflies and I miss them.
I lived there in the 90s. Do you happen to remember the pipe shop there, Big Jim's Smokertorium? I still have one of his pipes, called the Hyde Parker

Status
Not open for further replies.