PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

The familiar difficulty of lighting a match in a wind can be to a great extent overcome if thin shavings are first cut on the match towards its striking end, as shown in the picture. On lighting the match the curled strips catch fire at once; the flame is stronger and has a better chance.
Found this article on the website Mental Floss. Thought the part above was relevant here. The link to the full article below.
10 Life Hacks 100 Years Ago

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I just started (trying) to use matches to light my pipe. I'll have to say, that I was surprised at the flavor difference. Not anything earth-shattering, but it did change the initial flavor of the tobacco.
I'll have to try this some time, as I already have trouble sometimes lighting a match, even when I've shoved myself in spot where there shouldn't be much wind at all. Thanks for posting!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
That is really cool thanks for posting. I try to light and get it into the bowl as quick as possible, but it is a trick in the wind.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
As I recall, this trick also appeared in the Boy Scout Handbook, but it was in regard to lighting a campfire, not a pipe (unfortunately, I don't think there is a merit badge for pipe smoking).

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Could've used this 2 hours ago! Looks like I'm going to have to add a knife to my traveling pipe supply bag. That or sharpen the spoon on my Czech tool.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I am with bullbriar in that my Zippo seems to do the job. Only tried lighting with a match during one outdoor session. Finally made it work but it took a few tries.

Status
Not open for further replies.