PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I just started smoking with a pipe. My first bowl was last Thursday. I’ve smoked 3 bowls since. My first 3 were aromatics, and good experiences. I smoked Captain Black and I like that tobacco. I bought Peterson’s Early Morning Pipe and had a bowl last night (my 4th bowl). About midway through I started feeling lightheaded. It wasn’t too bad, so I finished the bowl, but felt very lightheaded afterwards. I woke up this morning still feeling a bit lightheaded. I’m in good health, just had a physical a couple months ago, I workout a couple days a week, and I’m not overweight. Was this due to nicotine? I bought EMP because 1) I keep hearing how good it was 2) I saw a video that stated that it’s on the lower end of the nicotine spectrum. Perhaps I accidentally inhaled? I did retrohale abo ut 4-5 times. What’s also weird is I kept smelling that same smoke aroma for most of today? I would appreciate any experienced thoughts on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

churchlady

Lurker
Mar 15, 2024
Alabama
The first time I smoked a pipe I got rather lightheaded. Pipes are slow nic, so if you're feeling it halfway through it's probably best to take a break as it's taken a moment to reach that level and will take a bit for it to subside. A snack and not smoking on an empty stomach helps.

Also, that first week I kept smelling/tasting the smoke even when I wasn't smoking. After a few weeks that went away. I get the taste/smell lingering just after I smoke but not for the rest of the day like I was when I started.

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
D
Did you smoke on an empty stomach?
Definitely after a meal is best at first. Also, if you start getting lightheaded just set the pipe down and return to it a little later. Unlike a cigar, it still tastes great.

As for residual smells and flavors, that happened to me quite a bit early on as well. Simple solution: smoke more often and become chronically desensitized. :)

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
D

Definitely after a meal is best at first. Also, if you start getting lightheaded just set the pipe down and return to it a little later. Unlike a cigar, it still tastes great.

As for residual smells and flavors, that happened to me quite a bit early on as well. Simple solution: smoke more often and become chronically desensitized. :)
Yeah, I ate about an hour before that smoke. I guess that’s why I was surprised. I did not eat when I smoked the Captain Black and that had no effect on me whatsoever? I’m assuming the nicotine value is much higher in the EMP than Captain Black? Is there a website that reveals the nicotine content of each blend? I’m assuming not.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Yeah, I ate about an hour before that smoke. I guess that’s why I was surprised. I did not eat when I smoked the Captain Black and that had no effect on me whatsoever? I’m assuming the nicotine value is much higher in the EMP than Captain Black? Is there a website that reveals the nicotine content of each blend? I’m assuming not.
You can look up blends on Tobacco Reviews, which has a "Strength" metric by which users can rate the perceived nicotine strength of a blend. It's subjective, but it can still be a useful reference.

Reactions: PiperCalvinist
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I am wondering if it may be something else, because you still felt lightheaded the next morning.

Reactions: fireground_piper
Apr 6, 2024
Marchand, Manitoba, Canada
I would agree with this. If nicotine isn't the problem, then smoking too aggressively can leave you low on oxygen. I've also gotten light headed from tobacco that smokes faster or burns more intensely. For example, a burley that's burning slow but is strong in nic has been easier on me than a Virginia that was burning like a freight train. That one made my stomach turn a bit.
Nic hit is my guess. Or you were concentrating on your draw too much forgetting to breathe deeply enough often enough. Like blowing up too many balloons at once without a break.

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I would agree with this. If nicotine isn't the problem, then smoking too aggressively can leave you low on oxygen. I've also gotten light headed from tobacco that smokes faster or burns more intensely. For example, a burley that's burning slow but is strong in nic has been easier on me than a Virginia that was burning like a freight train. That one made my stomach turn a bit.
That might be it - too aggressive. During that smoke it dawned on me that I was not using a tamper, only after the initial light. It didn’t feel like I was being aggressive, but my desire to keep the bowl lit may have had me sipping more rapidly then I realize. The bowl was pretty cool until about midway, then it got hot a couple of times. I still need to experientially understand the right cadence in smoking - to where it’s not too aggressive, making the bowl hot, and not too slow causing the ember burnout.