PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Zippo with a pipe insert is my prefered method of lighting my pipe.
Winton

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Cheap Bic lighters. Though I am giving serious thought to buying a full case of strike anywhere matches online.

joshy

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2011
I've never been a big fan of matches. For some reason I burn myself no matter what :lol:
For now I'm gonna stick with my cheap-o Bic lighters, but I may upgrade to a decent pipe lighter. Something with an angled flame.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
http://www.smokerstuff.com/special_imprints/62091.jpg
I've used both the Zippo and matches. Hard to beat the Zippo for convenience. I also get less rim charring with the Zippo.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
The zippo pipe insert has a hole in the side so you can light the lighter and then lay it sideways on the top of your pipe and draw the flame down into the hole, its really cool and helps prevent burning the rim of the pipe. I have one and like it, but sometimes I can taste the lighter fluid so I would say that I prefer a match if I have some.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Have a zippo with pipe insert and a Calibre pipe lighter but I love matches, try to use them most of time.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I like matches, but there are times when they are not convenient so I use a butane lighter I got a my B@M for like $10. There is no real reason for the preference other than I just like the ritual of it.

rouleur

Lurker
Aug 31, 2011
I've always used matches, but it can get annoying when it's windy, and if you're outside, away from home, do you just throw them on the ground? Are their chemicals in the wood, or is it all natural, plain old wood? I know a few matches with chemicals in them isn't the worst thing for the environment, but I like to do my part to keep the earth clean, haha. That being said, I ran out of matches a couple days ago, so I tried to use this lighter that I got for camping and such.
10qlws2.jpg

You just put a regular, cheap lighter inside, and it concentrates it or something, and you end up with a really hot little flame.
aky6if.jpg

I've never used a lighter to light my pipe, so I don't know if it just tasted bad, but the initial puffs were really too hot because of that super-hot little flame shooting down into the bowl. It was horrible. I guess I could just take the lighter out and use it normally. I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
I preferred matches for years and years but got tired of piling up my ashtrays (and then garbage) with the waste. Switched to a lighter some time ago.
Bic lighters burn my thumb. Probably because I try to avoid charring the rim. Can't stand 'em.
I love Zippo lighters when it comes to lighting anything but a pipe. Even with the pipe insert I find the flame too difficult to control. Plus, I can't stand the taste of the fluid (even the so-called "reformulated" recipe).
I love my Old Boy lighter. It's dependable, has a nice, soft, adjustable flame and a built in tamper. Additionally, because it takes flavorless and odorless butane, the Old Boy won't taint the tobacco. It's even become a favorite with my wife for those hard-to-get-to wicks at the bottom of candle.

Status
Not open for further replies.