PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
After being frustrated by the unreliability of my Zippos to light, I did what must seem obvious: I cleaned them thoroughly. First, I emptied the cotton from the interior, removing the retaining spring and flint (it's not needed to take out the wick), I placed the firing mechanism in a small jar filled with alcohol (any alcohol will do), shook the sealed container a bit after it had time to sit, them removed the mechanism and scrubbed it down with an old toothbrush, giving special attention to the igniting wheel, where gunk is most likely to collect. Rinse, dry, reassemble, and voila, the lighter ignites like brink new. Obvious, but I'm getting old, and the obvious sometimes escapes me.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
seconded on the ignition wheel. those things wear down like anything. Never tried the alcohol though, I usually just go at it with a wire brush. Definitely giving it a try though.

rasselass

Lurker
Apr 3, 2014
Sparrowhawk,thats a common problem with a lot of Lighters,the flint wheel gets clogged usually through using "soft flints" a hard flint such as "Ronson FireBronze" will not clog the same,they're more expensive,and the first "flick" or two is stiff but after that they work a treat and last longer,its the old saying "Quality costs more,but is better in the long run".......Just on the same note i used to have customers complaining their Gas lighters did'nt hold Gas for long always needing refilled,the Dunhill Lighter Rep.gave me this tip...press down and keep open the Flame valve(or flip open the lid on Rollergas)obviously unlit,invert the lighter and fill for 3-4 seconds till the gas comes out the flame valve,then close or release ,so the flame valve is "shut off"and fill for a further 1-2 seconds,you'll be surprised the difference it makes between fills,he said its what they call "venting"the gas chamber.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I cleaned a Zippo once, then realized Zippo will clean it, repair it or replace it for free. The only cost is shipping. I know this sounds like the easy way out but not really. I love repairing my own guns and pipes. I've never sold or traded a gun or pipe I've owned. I have a damn hard time giving up a truck when I buy one. I've got am '84 Chevy, '98 GMC and a 2011 Silverado I bought new. I used to do all my own work on them, oil changes, tun-ups... all that. But it's so dang easy to drop by Jiffy-Lub now and much easier on my body! Same with a Zippo, send two or three at a time back to them....

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I no longer do a lot of things that I used to do years ago, cars, etc.. However, I'll be damned if I ever take a car to Jiffy Lube again. Those freaking kids couldn't find there ass with a flashlight and a map. With several cars I told them NOT to fill up my tires, but yet they did so. On two of my Jeep Wranglers, which hold 34 PSI, they filled them up to 50 PSI! Talk about a rough ride!
Sorry for getting off the thread and my rant. As for Zippo's they are the best damned lighter's ever made and their service is beyond reproach. I've used them since the 60's and if you have any problem whatsoever they'll take care of it. I still have one from 1966 and it still works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.