PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Watch City blends are often compared to McClelland. Try Rhythm & Blues and Simply Red (which is compared to 5100). They’re not the same, but they’re great Virginias regardless. They might still have some in stock on their website.

Another possible replacement for you are the Ken Byron blends. Jupiter Slices is a popular one.
Completely agree with this--I happen to be loving WC's Old Dominion, which is a delicious vaper! I never got to try McCs, being a new pipe smoker, but when you open a tin of Old Dominion, you get that addictive vinegary aroma!

Reactions: BROBS

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Apologies to the OP for a funny picture. I think we can all appreciate the looming specter of our favorite tobaccos going extinct. But this thread made me think of this hilarious scene:

eb279152e0278413fac539075ed33759.png

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
While not the same, I opened a jar of Sutliff 515 RC-1 and was hit in the face with the ketchup/vinegar aroma associated with McClellands. I had only been in the jar for 2 months!

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
While not the same, I opened a jar of Sutliff 515 RC-1 and was hit in the face with the ketchup/vinegar aroma associated with McClellands. I had only been in the jar for 2 months!
Yes it’s damn close. Not McClelland but should remind.
Also the red VA crumble Kake is good too.

@mso489 “esteem”. Is that the stuff that comes out when kids vape?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jamesc

Lurker
Jun 15, 2015
Frog Morton on the Town was the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked and I fell in love with #27 along with many other McClelland blends within the 1st month of my journey (back in 2015).
I reserved the rest of my stock once I learned the news and turned away from pipes and moved back into cigars.

Returning back to pipes just in the last month and I'm still fond of the McClelland blends more than ever but have been able to adapt to VaPers, its not the same, but a lot more readily available.

It's been a couple of years since McClelland shut down, and I just finished the last of my 40th anniversary. I have a tin of #24 left, but that's it. Has anybody found an alternative that's even close? Anyone have some you're willing to sell? Somebody help!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Pipe smokers tend be a sentimental lot. I’m guilty myself as well. The whole McClelland thing is a bummer, but with so many other excellent blends on the market, I can’t see spending much thought on old discontinued blends. Anyhow, McClelland blends suddenly got A LOT more popular when they went off the market. Such is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.