PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I would have started with a magic eraser, but since you're working with micromesh, I would have used the most course grit with little pressure under running water until the brown was gone and slowly work my way up in grit. If using Oxyclean, coat the tenon with vaseline and plug the airway with it to prevent pitting and oxidation those areas.
I would have too, but I don't have any magic erasers. I'll have to go get some today.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Great to see the transformation. Might I recommend JB Weld for the next major crack you have to deal with. Here's a pipe repair blog site that has a lot of info.

Reactions: vates

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
That looks fun. I don't get much opportunity to do necromantic pipe restorations these days. I kinda miss 'em.

Then I moved onto the patch work. Cramming briar dust into the crack, I dripped super glue on it. Then repeated on the inside of the bowl.
CA/briar dust fills are fine for filling surface blemishes if that's they way you want to go, but using it in the chamber is a big NO. CA has a very low failure temperature; somewhere around 200°F/93°C. Some model makers burn it off their application tools with a Bic lighter. What's worse is that it releases cyanide gas when its burned. A patch of that size probably won't drop you to the floor instantly, but it can still be harmful, especially with repeated exposure.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Great to see the transformation. Might I recommend JB Weld for the next major crack you have to deal with. Here's a pipe repair blog site that has a lot of info.

Yes I usually do jb weld on my big repairs like this. It will eventually cover some spots inside the bowl so I'm not putting flame to the area with super glue. I've had good success with that plan.

Reactions: mau1 and jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's an amazing process. I'm not sure what to expect when you are "done," but this much is quite a lot. What blows my mind is that anyone would sell a pipe in that shape on eBay or anywhere. I wouldn't throw a pipe out easily, but that one had had it. I guess you were meant for each other. You could do miracles with pipes that had solid fundamentals. The band on that one is truly handsome however.

Reactions: Bowie

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's an amazing process. I'm not sure what to expect when you are "done," but this much is quite a lot. What blows my mind is that anyone would sell a pipe in that shape on eBay or anywhere. I wouldn't throw a pipe out easily, but that one had had it. I guess you were meant for each other. You could do miracles with pipes that had solid fundamentals. The band on that one is truly handsome however.
Thanks MSO! I should consider purchasing whole pipes someday..... Haha

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So to make my bowl coating, I mixed activated charcoal with sour cream untill it turned a dark grey color.

And applied it with a folded pipe cleaner to the inside of the bowl, till I could get it as smooth as it would go. Which is a lot harder than it sounds.

And it will sit like this untill the mixture dries. Usually about a week or so, untill it's fully hardened. I'll then check for any spots I need to go over or smooth out. And re apply if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.