PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanderer0311

Lurker
May 6, 2024
Bethesda, MD
So just saw on today's Country Squire newsletter that they're releasing a special tobacco with Dr. Alan Harrelson of The Pipe Cottage. Ok hear me out...

Just a day and a half ago, I was tuning into Muttnchop Piper's livestream and heard him say that he's been wanting to showcase some Country Squire blends on his livestreams but can't seem to get ahold of them (see 17:46). I personally have not verified if that's true, but I have no reason to doubt him. I got no skin in the game with this - but wanted to see what we could collectively do to get Muttnchop featured in one of these big stores??

This man has probably helped the majority of new pipers in the last decade overcome hurdles that most codgers spent months if not years solving on their own. He has also been so good about creating a welcoming atmosphere for anyone and everyone to join in and is always the first one to remind us that there is no right way -- as long as we're relaxing and having fun, then we're doing it right. And through it all, he's been humble about his impact on the pipe smoking community.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I legit see him as one of those wise uncles/grandfathers or that kind teacher we all have in our lives whom we respect (except for the fact that I've never actually met this man in real life ha).

What can we do to hook this man up? I have nothing to offer except for a few ideas to get the better crowdsourced ideas flowing:

1) If you're affiliated with one of the well-known retailers or big tobacco brands, can you flag this up the chain? Some suggestions: maybe Muttnchop can officially collab with you. Or one of your blenders can join him for a video? Or you can invite him out to video tour your shop!

2) If you're affiliated with a pipe maker (especially you Savinelli), can you flag this up the chain? Perhaps you could invite him out to your shop or even release a limited edition of a Muttnchop pipe haha.

3) If you're affiliated with a pipe show, consider what you all could do with Muttnchop. Some suggestions: invite him as a keynote speaker, panel moderator, or even a judge of some kind!

4) If you work for a B&M that's large enough, maybe for your next event, you could fly out Muttnchop as your VIP.

5) If you host a popular YouTube channel or podcast, maybe you could invite Muttnchop on your show.

Ok I know, those are probably boring or obvious. That's why I'm crowdsourcing this and letting YOU take the reins. I just figure this man has been foundational for most of us and yet he doesn't appear on any shows, events, or collaborations, and still records his own amateur-quality videos.

I'm gonna be cross-posting this on Reddit & SPEZ -- not to spam but to hit up folks who aren't on here. Feel free to copy and paste wherever! Let's see what we can do for the man.

PS: I fully admit that I have not participated in posts here, nor have I properly introduced myself in the Intro section, but🤷‍♂️just my personality. But promise, I am a daily lurker and have benefited so much from the posts on here!

NOTE: This is not a knock on The Country Squire or The Pipe Cottage. I just want to see our beloved Muttnchop Piper get some tangible gratitude for what he's done for pipe smoking at large.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 10.58.17 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 10.58.17 PM.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 7

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A very strange, off the wall post.

overcome hurdles that most codgers spent months if not years solving on their own.
I personally met no hurdles. But, I understood smoking a pipe was easily learned unless one wanted to complicate the simple idea, load leaving a reasonable draw, light and enjoy. Modify the loading until you achieve a decent smoke you enjoy, it's a personal thing. Nothing complicated in that. Of course if your intent is to complicate a simple enjoyment the sky is the limit. I suppose it all depends on what one desires out of a bowl full of tobacco.

If Muttonchop needs help expanding his "footprint, he should do as the OP suggests and prostitute himself and his knowledge. He needs business cards, perhaps an agent or PR rep. Best I can suggest.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I'm not knocking Muttonchop, I've seen like, two videos of his ever, I can't speak to him at all as a person, a pipe smoker, or what he has or hasn't done to help or grow the pipe community or keep it alive. I'm also not presuming he sent you as a liaison.

I'm just assuming you're a fan of his. I get it, you like the guy, you're excited. But if he reached out and can't get ahold of them, maybe the Country Squire doesn't want to work with him. Maybe they don't see a benefit, maybe they don't want to work with anyone (I'm honestly unfamiliar with them beyond the name, I don't know their blends, marketing strategies or anything), who knows?

But just because you're a fan, doesn't mean he's all that big of a name relative to others in the pipe community. Sure he may have helped you and helped some others, but many others? Enough to be on par with others that helped the pipe community? Just because you think he's great, doesn't mean he is to everyone else.

Even then, why do they have to get back with him (I didn't, and won't, listen to the podcast)? He has his own channel, what's really stopping him from featuring them? Because they won't pay him or give him free samples? If he really wanted to feature them, he could by buying some of their tobacco and just doing it. Nobody needs permission for that, as long as they're not committing libel/slander.

wanderer0311

Lurker
May 6, 2024
Bethesda, MD
Any time Muttnchop's name is mentioned this place turns into fashion convention, the claws come OUT. I don't understand it, you'll struggle to meet a more unassuming, unoffensive, decent bloke.
Ok thank you. I was so confused reading these replies this morning… where is all this resistance coming from? And I gave zero mention of him shilling for a deal, so have no idea where that’s coming from either. (if you watch the timestamp, someone asked him about it and he was replying)

I get it if people want to hate on me for not introducing myself, but wasn’t expecting the pushback on him.

Anyways, thank you for the kind welcome in general!

wanderer0311

Lurker
May 6, 2024
Bethesda, MD
Country Squire blends are hard to get?

Nah he’s featured their blends and plenty others. A subscriber asked him when he can do a collaboration video with Country Squire or visit their shop, and he replied he’s been trying to get a hold of them. That in context with the Country Squire saying they were doing a collab with a YouTuber, made me want to crowdsource some connections to help this guy out. There’s bound to be some!

Again, nothing about it signaled he was wanting a handout. Also totally agree with @sardonicus87 — it could totally be that Country Squire is making a conscious decision not to reply which is fine. Hence my generalization of “what else is out there”

Last edited:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
As a person in business, I try to avoid the so called influencers and people under the influence. I can see where it can be tempting but it gererally leads to hitching your wagon to current trends and people unstable personalities. Businesses that focus on short term gain rather than long term engagement tend to fade. That said, I have no stake in this battle. I just generally dislike the whole internet influencer paradigm.

To the many "Influencers" who write me and ask for free stuff in exchange for reviews and "Free Press". I say "Get a job and get a life!".

wanderer0311

Lurker
May 6, 2024
Bethesda, MD
As a person in business, I try to avoid the so called influencers and people under the influence. I can see where it can be tempting but it gererally leads to hitching your wagon to current trends and people unstable personalities. Businesses that focus on short term gain rather than long term engagement tend to fade. That said, I have no stake in this battle. I just generally dislike the whole internet influencer paradigm.

To the many "Influencers" who write me and ask for free stuff in exchange for reviews and "Free Press". I say "Get a job and get a life!".
Totally agree with all this!

But to add to what @WerewolfOfLondon was getting at… the man has influenced thousands of new pipe smokers with his plain, helpful barebones videos but is the furthest thing from an influencer, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

rick3wood

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2022
The Lone Star State
Muttnchop’s videos are sometimes tough to take he talks so slow , but he is very knowledgeable and its all about tobacco and pipes no other topics.Country Squire tobacco is Rarely out of stock ( if that was his meaning) a great place to order

Reactions: wanderer0311

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I can respect what Muttonchop Piper has done for new pipe smokers. I've watched a few videos myself. I'll admit he has a lot of knowledge. But it's a struggle to watch his whole videos. Perhaps a script or rehearsals would help? I have no doubt he's a good person, but his videos are painful to watch. He gets lost in what he's saying and it shows. If he were to come across more naturally charismatic, he have less troubles getting those sponsors.

Status
Not open for further replies.