PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I started smoking my pipes about a year ago and since then I also visit my local pipe and cigar shop several times a month. In the beginning it was not tough, I had a basket pipe, a small pouch of tobacco, a tamper and a lighter. I kept most of those items in my pocket and the larger items I would carry in my hands. Soon the collection grew and I had more items to carry. I began re-using grocery bags, paper bags, and one time a small delivery box. Being the fart smeller that I am, I observed the guys around me and saw them sporting fancy leather satchels, briefcases, retired laptop cases, inherited camera bags, and other highly-engineered-hand-made-imported-virgin-leather-pipe-specific Italian man bags. I jumped online in search of one of these bags only to find that they were worth a bit more than I was willing to pay for them and they were not my “style”.
Fast forward to a few months ago, when my buddy decided he was no longer going to need or use his Vodoo Tactical backpack and asked me if I wanted it. I said yes and traded him some candied bacon and nachos for it. I kept the bag for a few months, lost track of it and quite frankly completely forgot about it. I was cleaning some pipes one afternoon and went into the closet where I keep the Everclear (#teameverclear) and ran into said backpack. Holding the bag in one hand, the Everclear in another and staring at a tabletop full of pipes and tobacco, I had a manifestation from the divine being and thought I should use the bag to store my smoking gear! I got to work and went around the house looking for old bags and pouches I could re-purpose for my new bag.
I found an old toiletry bag and a pencil case that was just sitting in the drawer with no pencils in it. I put the pipe roll and a cheap pipe bag in the mix and began to organize the bag and came up with this: (photos below)
I know this is a bit much but the bag was given to me and needed something in it. Would I have purchased this bag specifically for this purpose? No. However, I wanted to share this with you guys for two reasons: (1) someone out there may want some ideas for storing or transporting their stuff and (2) no one in my house gives a $#!+ about this and I figured someone on here would.
Why do I need all this stuff with me to go to the pipe shop? Well we have a decent group of guys who always bring new blends for others to try and I keep a healthy variety of tobacco with me so others can try. On the same note, other dudes may bring a new blend so I keep a variety of pipes with me just in case.
My questions for you guys are:

What bag do you use to carry your smoking gear? Do you re-purpose any ordinary household items for your stuff? Feel free to post pictures of your bags…
Cheers!
7baa861b-6741-4f57-85f3-079ebe0f42bc-600x404.jpg

65c1d1ca-7ee9-4b6c-85eb-05dde3c12306-600x450.jpg

b6443fe2-fe4e-42e5-b283-8919d531ca79-600x450.jpg

f51e6c5d-830d-401d-95cf-f45a30e3c5a6-519x600.jpg

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I’m with Embers, I carry my lighter and pipe tool in my pants pocket, if I’ll be smoking multiple bowls, I have a leather tobacco pouch that I carry in my other pants pocket. My pipe will be in my mouth, hand or pipe rest. I just don’t need to carry multiple pipes and tins away from home, I suppose that I’d invest in a pipe bag if I traveled quite a bit, but I do not.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I have many (many) pipe bags, they all serve a purpose. Some are for home storage use and some are for travel. Some are repurposed and some are from pipe companies.
My favorite example of a repurposed bag is this gun/bullet case, which I use to store and organize my pipe cleaning supplies.

Gkko3EA.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I like the idea of a pipe bag but I don't really have a need. It's a rare occasion that I will smoke away from home. Next Saturday I will be going to a BBQ at my daughter and son-in-laws. I will bring a pipe in a sock and that's it. I'll smoke one of his blends and use one of his lighters and Czech tool. When my son or son-in-law come to my house they're more than welcome to smoke any blend I have open.

no one in my house gives a $#!+ about this

I know the feeling. My wife pretends to be interested when I shove a jar under her nose..."here, smell this".

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I have an old 50's leather pipe bag that belonged to my former neighbor's grandfather...he had it made for himself and now it is mine...holds 3-4 English-type pipes (small-grp. 2-3 or 2 larger pipes. I keep a knife and small block of wood for cutting plugs and ropes, tampers and lighters, too...even has a place for pipe cleaners.

H2o7HE9l.jpg

a33jZ7il.jpg

Have a couple of old Comoy pouches from the 60's.

iZ44VNSl.jpg

Reactions: Jef and didimauw

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Npod - nice set up! That was going to be my next project, finding a way to store all my cleaning stuff in one place and not in a bunch of cigar boxes.
Pepesdad1 - I also like those pouches! I use my smallest pipe pouch to keep the bare essentials for my daily smoke. That hand made pouch is nice and the fact that you know who made it makes it that much more special. Enjoy!

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Thanks, mile high...gonna hand it down or over to a good friend who is considerably younger than myself and is a constant piper who would appreciate the heirloom.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Looks like you got a sweet set up!
I use a tiny little leather pouch that is just enough to hold a few ziplocs of blends, 2 briars and a cob, as well as lighter, tamper, and a pack of 20 pipe cleaners. It's handy, and I can also squeeze a shooter of scotch in there if necessary :)
71euYDzjXeL._SL1200_.jpg

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
wow the gears in here are pretty serious...

I just use a small leather pouch where I can put 2-3 pipes plus a tobacco bag, a couple of pipe cleaners, and tampers.

img_20190413_093713-600x337.jpg

Reactions: Scott Krieger

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
For work I use a regular backpack (forget the brand). It has a lot of compartments. I always bring two pipes and have up to ten different blends at all times (sometimes more). I smoke in tandem so I always want a variety.
Great post. If I can find the time, I’ll post pics of my set up.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I use a small toiletries bag when I go to pipe club.

And compared to more than a few of the guy there, I am seriously underdressed.

I’ve seen a doctor bag and good sized makeup case.

But for next meeting, I’m using a backpack since I promised to bring my MM reverse Calabash pipes.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Small, leather "possibles bag"......it's primitive and they come in all sizes. Over the shoulder/cross carry for convenience and free hands.
"PEG AND AWL" makes some perfect bags/pouches for carrying pipes and stuff, they're made from heavy-duty, cotton duck/canvas....and they come in various sizes.
Are you handy and crafty? Make your own customized bag from some scrap leather. Save $$$$$$$ and go buy another pipe. Plenty of You-Tube videos will show you how to make a leather bag/possibles bag. "Possibles Bags" can be bought from vendors that specialize in selling: muzzle-loading rifles, primitive camping/hunting equipment, etc.
Too many bags that would be suitable for carrying around pipes, etc...also look like a lady's handbag.
Just some alternatives to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.